PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Scratch disk...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Scratch disk... Reply with quote

Alright, so it has been brought to my attention that I'm wrong. First time for everything I guess Brow LOL! Kidding!

Here's the deal--> I have CS installed on my comp at home. I have one hard drive (hdd) that's 200 gb. I have it partitioned so that some 50 gb is set aside for CS. Now, CS is also installed on this part of the drive (I can't remember the drive letter as I'm at work right now), and CS is the ONLY thing installed on this part of the drive. I also have the scratch disk set to use this drive. I'm also running dual OS's. I have win2k on a small partition, ummm...it's about 10-12 gb. Win2k is the only thing installed on that drive. On the larger part of the drive is winxp pro (I think 96 gb). This is the typical "C:" drive (default single drive computers), and is where all programs (aside from CS) are installed. Here's the question: Is it bad the way I have this set up? Meaning, is having everything installed this way and the way that the scratch disks are set up a bad thing, a good thing or doesn't really matter?

Would I be better off installing another drive (I have a 5 gb drive from an old comp just laying around) and use that as a scratch disk for CS? I also have an external USB hdd that's 160 gb, and another 40 gb drive, but I think I might use the 40 gb for my sons comp as I can't see adding antoher 40gb drive to a computer that already has 360 gb of storage!

Suggestions? Comments? Concerns? Snyde remarks? Kidding, no snyde remarks permitted at this time! LOL

All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding another 5gb drive is probably the best way, but yu said it was old, if it's really old it may be slow. ifd it's running at like 5000 RPM and your current os 7200, then you may be better off as you are. I'm no expert, just something to think about.

if it's on an existing disk, put it on the one with the most excess space, as that drive or partition should access faster.

After you got all your software instaled and the entire system is ready to rumble, defragging can also help improve disk speed a tiny bit.

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply GP......I was starting to think that I was stumping everyone!

I'm not going to use that little 5 gb drive....instead I'm going to redo my whole machine and install a 40gb drive as the master, and use the 200 gb drive as a slave. I'll install the OS on the 40 gb drive, along with my virus protection, and CS will reside on the 200 gb drive along with all the other programs. I'll partiton the 200gb to give give CS it's own "area" of roughly 50 gb, leaving 150 for about everything else. Not to mention that I still have a 160 gb external drive for storage and what not. That's almost a terra byte of storage! Way to much!

All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.

lasa

PS Version: CS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A freind of mine just got a new gaming PC with a single 500gig HD..why a 500Gig for gaming? didn't even know they made them.....speed and ram I understand but game storage?
Oh well maybe I'm just jealous.
Lasa

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had 20Gig set aside for games when I got my PC, and it filles up very quickly. You have to consider that games these day can take up 5 Gig. back in the early days (mid-90's) of real 3d gaming, the average was 700 Mb, so this is quite a lot bigger.

jdrumstik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seperate partitions doesn't do anything; this is a common misconception virus's can still hop drives. For protection you have to do what audio pros do. System drive (40GB, OS and software) and then a data drive (2 raid'd either 0 for speed or 1 for saftey) of like 200gb or larger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: