PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
photoshop cs4 transparent image background? weird
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

ajcool123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: photoshop cs4 transparent image background? weird Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

So I created a blank 16px X 16px transparent image in Photoshop CS4. In the attached image, I have the canvas zoom in at 3200% and you can see how there is a bunch of "WHITE" area. This is confusing to me because what if I want to have part of a white background? How could I tell the difference between if I put a white pixel on the screen? Make sense?

Thank you!

cs4transparent.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.33 KB
 Viewed:  19644 Time(s)

cs4transparent.png

kreativkid

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing you could do is fill the background layer with a color you don't think you'll use in your design (like hot pink or something) and then create your design on another layer. When you're finished delete (or just hide) the bottom layer to make it transparent.

Hope this helps!

Romans 6:23

Sublimity

PS Version: Master Collection CS3/CS4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ajcool,

If by white area you mean the pixel grid, you can toggle the visibility of the grid by going to VIEW>SHOW> uncheck PIXEL GRID. That should give you a purely uncompromised background.

johnny5k

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Adobe made a dumb move with this one. Reply with quote

Dude I hear you.. For some stupid reason, Adobe decided to change the way the transparency grid appears in CS4-- it used to always be the same small checkered pattern, and no matter how much you zoom in or out of a file, the grid was always the same small size-- independent of zoom factor. Now, the grid resizes along with the zoom factor; so there are plenty of times now, when you have several pixels that are transparent, and you can't tell because the background appears to be white, not transparent. It wouldn't be so bad, except they don't even let you change it to the old way, even though I'm sure this would have been an easy preference setting to add. And while adding a colored layer below your layer with some transparency will work as a workaround, it's ridiculous that after all these versions of Photoshop that this feature worked just fine, they changed it to work dumb.

johnny5k

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: I found a fix! Reply with quote

If you have a nice enough video card, Photoshop enables OpenGL to offload some of the work off the main processor & onto the video card. This is great! Except, it's rendering the transparency checkerboard grid wrong when you zoom. You can turn off OpenGL to get the grid to work the old (correct) way. You will lose some of the nice new features that were made possible because of OpenGL, but from what I've found, I don't miss any of them, and I much prefer the old non-zooming transparency checkerboard.

To disable OpenGL:
Photoshop > Preferences > Performance -- uncheck "Use OpenGL"

From what I can make out from the Adobe support docs, if you have at least 512MB of Video RAM, you can enable "Advanced Drawing" features on top of OpenGL; and in their own words: "When the Advanced Drawing option in Advanced Settings is unavailable, Photoshop turns off ... uniform size checkerboard compositing."

Lame!

Hope this answers your question though!
[c]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: