PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Adding and sizing images issues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

fiestypisces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Adding and sizing images issues Reply with quote

I have looked around for this and either my wording for the search isn't right, but...
I start off with a new project with dimensions: height:12 width:12 res:300, then i press ctrl+O to add an image, the picture i selected was small and it makes the entire white background really small. How can I stop that from happening? I want the small picture on top of the background. I don't want everything to get smaller Confused . Then I would like to make the picture bigger without it looking pixelated. Thanks for you help!!

hawkeye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you're asking, perhaps you can explain more. Ctrl+O is a shortcut for open, and simply opens the image for editing, it should not effect any other images.

If you want to add one image to another all you need to do is drag one onto the other image. You can also use File-Place. But, be aware that image size must be considered when you do this. Both images should be the same resolution.

Note: There is a setting in preferences which will resize an image automatically for paste and place commands.

rogermota

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're asking why is a photo, when placed in a blank 12 x 12, 300dpi image look so small.

If that's the case, it's because the image you're placing is quite small (like you said). You didn't specify the unit, but be it 12 x 12 cm or inches, that blank image is huuuuge.

As for making your image not pixelated, first make sure you are in RGB mode (and not Indexed - as is the case for GIFs for example). Go to Image > Mode > RGB.

Then go to your General Preferences and make sure the Image Interpolation setting is "Bicubic Smoother".

Then, when you resize your image, be it with the free transform tool (Ctrl+T) or the Image Size command (Image > Image Size), the image will be the best Photoshop can muster. It's not going to look sharp because photoshop needs to invent those extra pixels, no way around that I'm afraid!

fiestypisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that isn't what I needed but I will keep that in mind for future use, Thank you =)...
Let me use this example:

http://www.theshabbyshoppe.com/tutorials/LaurieGarzaVideoTutorials/first_lo_pscs/first_lo_pscs.html

At about 3:11 when she gets the picture out it she puts it on the layout background. Ok, when I do it another tab comes up next to the untitled layer tab. The picture is not on the white background that I set dimensions for, and I cant put it on the white background either. It is driving me crazy!!! Mad I don't know how to get my picture on top of the background layer, it sends it a separate page (tab). These tabs are under the top tool bar and say the name of the picture.
I don't know if I am conveying this right, but I really need some help.

another example (although this guy uses a mac):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__KkSu248OU&annotation_id=annotation_726684&feature=iv
I put it the dimensions, when he adds the picture he selects place. Now, I have done that as well, and that is where my original question comes in. If I add the picture by selecting "place," the white background either shrinks to the photo or expands to fit the photo, either way, it is not the size I want. Neither of these people have these tabs, they are like the internet tabs if you have more than one page open. I hope I am explaining this in the least confusing way, but if not it is because I am confused.

I would like to be able to place a picture on my layout without it being on a separate tab, and I want my pictures small or large to not make my layout( the orignal white background) shrink. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I feel like I wasted $$. I want to figure this out. Thanks again!!

rogermota

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh ok. Got it.

You're using CS4, with tabs enabled (the default)

To turn off tabs, go to Preferences > Interface > Open Documents as Tabs (un tick it)

That'll remove the annoying tabs.

Now, as for your "place-ing problem", what place does is, it'll automatically resize the new image you place to fit into your blank image *IF* it's height or width is larger than your blank image.

So say you have a 12in x 12in, 300dpi (that's 3600 x 3600 pixels) blank image, just with a white background.

Then you place a 5000 x 2000 pixel image of a sunset. What will happen is that the place command with auto resize the sunset to be 3600 x 1440 pixels (it will resize proportionately).

BUT when you place an image of a strawberry that's 100 x 100 pixels, it will place it in your white image as is. It will be 100 x 100 pixels.

Now, the only thing you might be confused about is the zoom view. Photoshop (for ease of use) always zooms out an image so that it can fit on your screen (it's not resizing the image, just zooming out).

Look at the bottom left-hand corer of every image, you'll see the zoom amount. 100% means you are seeing every pixel, 50% means one quarter, 25% one eighth and so on.

I don't know if this is making sense, maybe it's better to see a video explaining zoom view? Plenty of videos on youtube.

Did this help??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: