PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
psd file large-jpg file very small
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

vdotmatrix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: psd file large-jpg file very small Reply with quote

i created a document 12x18 which will a jpg poster in the end.

i saved the psd file which was about 12MB (good).
Then I saved as jpg and to my horror this jpg is only 355kb...it will never blow up to 12x18.

can anyeone help?

iDad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you always lose with jpg but you beable to save it as a bigger file than that.When saving as a jpg you should have an option to increase or decrease size or save as png

rogermota

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from 12mb to 355kb means there's a heck of a lot of compression going on. You can set JPEG compression from 1 to 12. Try 10 if size is somewhat of a concern, 12 if it's not. JPEG will always compress to much smaller than a PSD (especially if you have multiple layers).

As long as you're not resizing the image, you dont have to worry about your 12x18 image not "blow up" to 12x18 as the physical dimension hasn't been changed.

vdotmatrix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogermota wrote:
from 12mb to 355kb means there's a heck of a lot of compression going on. You can set JPEG compression from 1 to 12. Try 10 if size is somewhat of a concern, 12 if it's not. JPEG will always compress to much smaller than a PSD (especially if you have multiple layers).

As long as you're not resizing the image, you dont have to worry about your 12x18 image not "blow up" to 12x18 as the physical dimension hasn't been changed.

When I created the document I had the resolution set at 72 dpi.

I have since bumped it up to 300dpi and my blood pressure has gone back down to 100...

Man a simple little setting almost caused me to stroke out.

thanks

rogermota

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see. So your whole document was created on 72 dpi, then you bumped it up to 300? Usually it's not a good idea to do that as Photoshop will have to make up the extra information. This means that, for example, details in a photo will become soft and blurry.

Always stick with 300 dpi when doing any work that's for print.

vdotmatrix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogermota wrote:
Ahh I see. So your whole document was created on 72 dpi, then you bumped it up to 300? Usually it's not a good idea to do that as Photoshop will have to make up the extra information. This means that, for example, details in a photo will become soft and blurry.

Always stick with 300 dpi when doing any work that's for print.

This is very useful to know. Always start with high resolution and then START OVER instead of just bumping up the resolution and trying to take the easy way out. Makes sense.

BUT, even when I started with ,psd file that was about 30MB, the resulting JPG was only 2.5 MB. Any Ideas or suggestions?

thanks for taking the time to respond!!

rogermota

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdotmatrix,

JPG will always be smaller. Don't worry about it "only" being 2.5MB, that's actually quite large for a JPG. Just make sure your file is
1.) the right DPI and
2.) the right dimension

And you're all set. What I do is always work in the Photoshop PSD file, and when I'm ready to send to the printers, I save as a JPG on max quality.

Anything else, lemme know! Happy to help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: