PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
CS4, RAM, and Vista Ultimate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Hone

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: CS4, RAM, and Vista Ultimate Reply with quote

At the suggestion of an Adobe sales person, I upgraded my CS3 to CS4. The sales person told me that CS4 with Vista Ultimate would use close to 4 gigs of RAM if it was available. However, on my system with the RAM usage set to 96%, CS4 uses no more RAM than CS3 did... about 1.6 gigs.

My Vista is 32 bit... should CS4 use full RAM with Vista 32 bit? If not, is there a PC operating system that will allow CS4 to use up to 4 gigs of RAM?

Pen Tool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing can use 4gb of RAM in a 32bit operating system.

The total addressing space is only 4gb. A lot of that space is reserved for accessing hardware and mapping for other things.

I installed 4GB in my Vista machine and just over 3gb was available to use. My machine kept crashing with this ram in. Probably a conflict somewhere.

I am not fully familiar with how PS handles RAM, but if you have permitted it to use 96% of available ram, I wouldn't have thought it would just grab that for itself unless it needed it.

Are you saying that it's only using 1.6gb but it's still swapping out to disk?

Hone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... that is what I'm saying... I understand now that a 64 bit OS is needed. I think Vista has a 64 bit OS, right?

rogermota

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hone,

You'll need the 64-bit version of Windows so that Photoshop can address more than 4gb. Microsoft make 32-bit and 64-bit versions of every flavor of Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate, etc).

As to why it's only using 1.6gb before using the swap, I'd suspect it's because the rest of the RAM isn't available. Could be windows crazyness too ;)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: