PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
I can't save my work! - "not enough memory..."!!!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

xelag2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: I can't save my work! - "not enough memory..."!!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I worked all the day on a big project on Windows XP SP2 with Photoshop CS2 (9.0.2). It used now 1895Mo RAM! I have 3.5Go of RAM.

When I try to modify a text area for instance, the following error pops up : "Not enough memory available for this task" - translated in english from the original french message : "Impossible d'effectuer cette opération car la mémoire vive disponible est insuffisante."

The same error pops up when I try to save!! I am totally stuck. I can't save my work, and if I quit Photoshop to restart it so as to free some RAM, I lose my work (3-4h Frown )!

I try :

- to close all other programs using plenty of RAM

- to clean the history

- to hide all my layers

- to tune the memory management in Edit/Preferences - Memory management.

- by raising the max amount of RAM used by Photoshop,

- by setting the level of cache memory to 1

- to raise the paging file size (actually set to 4Go max), but it needs to restart WinXP... so as to apply the modification.

I don't know what to do anymore!! Please help me to save my work.. I thought about doing some screen shots with the key to keep some kind of trace of what I have done.. Otherwise, I don' know what to do.

Thank you for your quick help,

Alex

hawkeye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check the Adobe Photoshop Forum for an answer.

iDad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burn it to a DVD then work on your memory? do you have that option?

KRF

PS Version: photoshop elements 7
OS: Windows Vista 32-bit, and one sexy computer to go with it lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't save my work! - "not enough memory..." Reply with quote

xelag2 wrote:
Hi,

I worked all the day on a big project on Windows XP SP2 with Photoshop CS2 (9.0.2). It used now 1895Mo RAM! I have 3.5Go of RAM.

When I try to modify a text area for instance, the following error pops up : "Not enough memory available for this task" - translated in english from the original french message : "Impossible d'effectuer cette opération car la mémoire vive disponible est insuffisante."

The same error pops up when I try to save!! I am totally stuck. I can't save my work, and if I quit Photoshop to restart it so as to free some RAM, I lose my work (3-4h Frown )!

I try :

- to close all other programs using plenty of RAM

- to clean the history

- to hide all my layers

- to tune the memory management in Edit/Preferences - Memory management.

- by raising the max amount of RAM used by Photoshop,

- by setting the level of cache memory to 1

- to raise the paging file size (actually set to 4Go max), but it needs to restart WinXP... so as to apply the modification.

I don't know what to do anymore!! Please help me to save my work.. I thought about doing some screen shots with the key to keep some kind of trace of what I have done.. Otherwise, I don' know what to do.

Thank you for your quick help,

Alex

Hi,

First off, what do you mean by this
"- by setting the level of cache memory to 1" one what KB, MB, or GB?

This also sound's like you have a lot of thing's that are loading up with Photoshop, try going to msconfig and the "startup" tab and see what is loading up at start up with photoshop.

Start > Run > msconfig (hit enter on key board) then to the StartUp tab in msconfig. remember that this also has other thig's that start up with your computer that you will still need.

Also that dose your "Performance" look like when you have photoshop running to get this information press "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" and task manager will open up then select the "Performance" tab and post it here if you could.

xelag2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might check the Adobe Photoshop Forum for an answer.
Yes I did on that thread

Quote:
burn it to a DVD then work on your memory? do you have that option?

No, it doesn't seem so.

Quote:
First off, what do you mean by this
"- by setting the level of cache memory to 1" one what KB, MB, or GB?
It's a level, not a amount of memory. By checking out more precisely, I found that it is the number of level of cache for datas image.

Quote:
This also sound's like you have a lot of thing's that are loading up with Photoshop, try going to msconfig and the "startup" tab and see what is loading up at start up with photoshop.

The only thing that starts up with Windows start related to Photoshop is Adobe Gamma. Not a big deal..

Quote:
Also that dose your "Performance" look like when you have photoshop running to get this information press "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" and task manager will open up then select the "Performance" tab and post it here if you could.
Yes, I DO know that stuff unfortunately... ;)
There is still left : ~1Go of RAM.. look at attached pic

[/quote]

KRF

PS Version: photoshop elements 7
OS: Windows Vista 32-bit, and one sexy computer to go with it lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi seeing that PS it taking up 1.9MB of RAM, and that every thing else I have asked seem to be ok, the question now is, do you have a lot of fornts, style, brushes and other thing that you have made, downloaded or installed on to PS?

Also if you have a lot of font's as in new font's in windows font's folder, this will show PS to be taking up a lot of RAM and can lead to this problem,

Best thing to do is remove not delete any new styels and font's also brushes, put them on a new folder, and see if this still happens. if so i'll look for a fix if i can that is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: