PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Help! Photoshop elements 6 won't accept my RAW+JPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

pictureme70

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Help! Photoshop elements 6 won't accept my RAW+JPG Reply with quote

Hello you experts, I need you desperately! Brow
I used my new camera properly for the first time last week while on holiday. The camera being Sony a200 SLR. I took most of my pictures using the 'Fine' (JPEG) quality setting, but I also used many with the RAW+JPEG setting because I read that it was ideal for obtaining the full quality of the original shot without compression etc. which I understood (perhaps wrongly) that it was more suited for editing, being a lossless format. I may not have these details correct as I am new to the format scene. I used the combination format because I thought the RAW would be good for the editing, but I had the JPG to fall back on if I did not understand the RAW well enough. Confused Unfortunately I have realised my mistake. I use Photoshop Elements 6 for my photo management. I imported all my photos (approx 400!) into my organiser only to find it did not accept, what I assume, to be the RAW+JPEG files. i received a list of the unimported files, all with the same message of damaged or unsupported file format (Ithink it said .arw, or something similar.
I imported the shots from my camera via Windows Photo Gallery (My computer is Vista Premium) to see if it would accept the files, but that only imported the same photos as Photoshop 6 Bawling
So, my question is, how can I get my RAW+JPEG photos in my camera into my organiser. Is there a way to convert them from my camera? Or have I lost the photos to my camera for all time? Eek
A solution to my problem would be really a life saver. My wife wants those photos man! Bawling
Many thanks,
pictureme

hawkeye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abobe Camera Raw in your version of PSE will likely not support the newest cameras. Check to see if your camera is included in any available updates with Adobe support. If not...

Camera manufacturers usually provide software to download their raw files that will also allow you to make basic adjustments and convert them to tiff or jpeg. So they shouldn't be lost.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of research for you and the ACR 4.6 update will support your camera. Download and install here:

http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_4.6_ReadMe.pdf

pictureme70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Raw format not accepted Reply with quote

hawkeye wrote:
I did a bit of research for you and the ACR 4.6 update will support your camera. Download and install here:

http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_4.6_ReadMe.pdf

Hi, hawkeye,
Many thanks indeed for your help and trouble in assisting me with my problem. I really appreciate it.
I am not very technical with computer matters and find it difficult to follow text instructions, however I have done my best, but need a little further guidance from you.
Would you be kind enough to bear with me in following my actions and letting me know if I have done correctly?
I downloaded the PDF instructions you kindly provided concerning the plug-in. As I do not use ‘Lightroom’, I presume only the last paragraph, titled ‘Photoshop Elements’-‘Windows’ is all that applies to me. I followed the instructions given and eventually arrived at the ‘File Formats’ folder. This folder consists of a list of 7 items. I do not understand them, but when I place my cursor over them, each one states the same thing, namely ‘Type:8Bi file’. Again I am assuming the file applicable to me is the second one down which says ‘Camera raw’.
I have opened a new folder on my desktop as instructed, and moved this file into it.
I have also placed the downloaded item on my desktop into the same new folder. I now have two files within this folder which are displayed as follows…’Camera Raw- shortcut’, and ‘Camera Raw’. If I place my cursor over the first, I get ‘Camera Raw-shortcut’, the latter one shows as ‘8BI file’. Which ever one I click on, it opens up Photoshop Elements in the editor. So I presume it does not matter which one I use.
As per the PDF instructions, line 6, it instructs to copy CR8bi which is on my desktop and place in the new folder. I dragged it into the new folder, does that make any difference? Line 7 then instructs to open PSE 6. It does not say clicking on either of the files will open PSE 6! Is that irrelevant?
Assuming I have done everything correctly (God I hope so!! Please let me know if I have not, and what I should do) I am still baffled as to how to get my photos, still in the camera, into PSE Organiser!
What do I do next?
Again, many thanks,
pictureme

hawkeye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have opened a new folder on my desktop as instructed, and moved this file into it. I have also placed the downloaded item on my desktop into the same new folder. "

They want you to place the new Raw.8bi file into the plug-ins folder from which you moved the old file, do not put it in the new folder...

The only reason they are telling to move the file and not delete it, is in case there is a problem you could revert back to it. The new Raw.8bi file is meant to replace the old file in it's original location.

After you know everything works properly in Elements, you can go ahead and delete that new folder on the desktop.

pictureme70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want you to place the new Raw.8bi file into the plug-ins folder from which you moved the old file, do not put it in the new folder...

Hi, and thanks again,
I have done it all again! This time I did as you said, I placed the download file into the 'File Formats' folder after removing the existing Raw file into the new folder created on desktop, effectively replacing the exisiting file with the new downloaded one. I trust that is correct?
I have opened PSE and still have the same selection of photos imported from my camera, so how do I get the photos that did not import into the organiser?
pictureme

hawkeye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off make certain that the raw files were downloaded and are in a folder. Also that you restarted PSE after adding the new files.

pictureme70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, hawkeye,
Just finished testing what I have done Brow I don't know how it works, but thanks to your help I seem to have cracked it Big Grin
All appears to be A1.
Many thanks for your help. Another satisfied customer Cool
pictureme

hawkeye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it all worked out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: