PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Compression: PNG vs. JPEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Whiinch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Compression: PNG vs. JPEG Reply with quote

I just have a quick question for those who understand how the compression processes work with JPEG and PNG files:

I'm just looking for an answer that explains why there are separate options for compression available with both file formats, i.e. you have the option of choosing 12 different quality levels when saving as JPEG, as opposed to PNG, where you can only choose between saving interlaced or non-interlaced.

Can someone help me out with this? Or if not, is there a place that might have the answer where someone can direct me to?

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Whiinch,
JPEG compression is lossy so the lower you have the setting, the more detail it 'throws' away. PNG is lossless compression so it does not 'throw' any information away, so it's either compressed, or not.
Hope that helps

Whiinch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks a lot! Just one more thing I'm curious about, then: if no data is lost in PNG compression, what happens in the two settings (interlaced vs. none)? Because in one of them, the file size is smaller?

Sorry, I'm trying my best to make sense; I'm just starting to learn stuff about compression so I don't know exactly what I'm talking about.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Whiinch. :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs, it's an interesting subject.
Interlaced PNG's are used for web graphics and enable the browser to display parts of the image before it is fully downloaded. A standard PNG will only display over the web when the whole file is downloaded onto the local computer. Interlaced files are slightly larger in size but good if displaying lalargefiles over a slow connection.

Hope that helps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: