PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Mid day lighting - How do you approach it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

andy838

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Mid day lighting - How do you approach it? Reply with quote

I've shot a few outdoor events in the almost directly overhead, harsh, lighting of the summer mid-day sun.

All I can say is, it's no fun.

I can get the exposure correct for peoples' faces, and the sky blows out. OR I get the sky exposed and the peoples faces don't quite get enough light (even with flash).

I've picked up a couple CPL filters for my lenses for the next shoot and am contemplating buying pocket wizards so I can get my flashes closer and remotely trigger them.

Can anyone else tell me how they approach working in the mid-day sun?

I hope this makes sense.

bdbolin

PS Version: CS3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't. :)

...but if I do I ALWAYS use a flash. I'd suggest using radiopoppers instead though...

(Looking for advertising trade-offs! We advertise you, you advertise us!)

rushnp774

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harsh, mid-day light is the WORST type of light to shoot in, but there are a few things you can do to help:

-Try to avoid it if possible at all.
-Use the "Sunny 16" rule to start with: start at f/16 & 1/250 sec shutter and work from there.
-Find shade
-Turn the exposure compensation (EC) of your camera down 1-1.5 stops, and use a flash with the flash's EC turned up .5-1.5 stops (depending on the distance between the flash and the subject). You may have to turn the camera's EC down even more, but if so, you'll need a powerful speedlight/strobe to get enough light to light the picture.

Basically, you just want to get the exposure as close to correct (partial & spot metering help immensely - I use partial metering almost exclusively) on the person's face, and not worry much about the background (that can always be fixed in post).

Again, it's tough, and you'll have to adjust constantly, but it can be done. Hope it helps!

Fashion, Fetish, and Portrait Photography - My work on deviantART. Critiques and comments welcome and appreciated greatly!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: