PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Removing white stripes from a black shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

efunc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Removing white stripes from a black shirt Reply with quote

Hi all,

first post here, but loving the forum so far. I thought I'd pipe in with my first conundrum for you experts.

I have some 25 year old grainy snaps of a live band playing. The guitarist is sporting a black shirt with magenta/white check pattern which is _really_ distracting. I want to try and tone down these light coloured stripes as much as I can. However it's really not simple because of the amount of noise. Dialling out the magenta was simple by de-saturating and using 'Variations' and 'Selective Colour' in the Image menu. However I thought the white would be relatively easy to select en-mass and just re-colour it or darken it. Not so. I can't select it without going in pixel by pixel!

Is there a simple tool I can use? High Pass? Extract? any ideas on fixing this?

Here's a quick crop from one of the images I was experimenting with. I've already taken out the magenta tinge around the white stripes:

Thanks all!

jjochems78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would maybe try using the dropper to select the black on his shirt. And then switch to the paint brush and set it to darken. Bring the opacity down to maybe 50%-75% and paint over the stripes and see where that gets you.

efunc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! that's quite effective, I didn't know that technique. However the drawback is that it's painstakingly slow and detailed work. I have about 10 pictures I want to do, and that's a lot of stripes. How would I go about automating this or speeding up the process. I can sort of select the white lines by using Select > Colour Range.

thanks for your help :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: