PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Thumbnail problem.
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Itsteve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Thumbnail problem. Reply with quote

Hi, this is something that has happened a few times now and I have never figured out the cause. Sometimes when I save a file the thumbnail will be greyed out. (see sample image).
The image will open OK but on saving the flattened file for some reason the thumbnail has no colour and I like to see it clearly. I have found a way around it which is by saving the file again as a JPEG then opening it and saving it once more as a TIFF. (all 8bit/channel). As far as I remember all the files that this has happened to have been manipulated in some way and had previously had layers.
This can be time wasting but it is really a puzzle rather than a big problem. Can anyone tell me why I am getting this effect? Confused

darklite

PS Version: cs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you why, except that maybe photoshop needs to be reloaded. It sounds like a bug. It looks like the thumbnail is reversed out.

I wouldn't open the image, save it as a jpeg, then re-save it as a tiff. You'll lose quality this way.

If you reload photoshop, I'd be sure to notice that when you choose which files will open, be sure Tiff is selected. Just click on "all to PS"

http://www.autumnwindstudios.com

Itsteve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff, and thanks for the reply.
I presume you mean I should re-install PS? I think that would be something I would leave until after Christmas but as I have to transfer everything to a new system early in the new year I think I will probably just see what happens to that new installation and keep a look out for it re-occurring and try to make a note of what I was doing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a bug as I also notice that the option icons for viewing different numbers of files at once have become invisible, though on mousing over them they are still there and do work.

As the thumbnail ghosting problem occurs only occasionally I thought it may be some procedure I had carried out that might have been the cause and actually expected a bunch of answers pointing out some simple reason for it but as that hasn’t happened the bug theory sounds most plausible. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: