PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
"Dithered shadows" around text & art when prin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

pkwickart2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: "Dithered shadows" around text & art when prin Reply with quote

I work with Photoshop CS3 (Mac). When sending prints from my iMac to our Ricoh color copier the printed piece comes out with a (for lack of better words) 'dithery shadowed effect' especially around black text.
I am using the correct resolution and proper color mode (CMYK) each time, but the only thing that helps 'some' is to go into Curves and take out all of the black. Help!

Auieos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks fine in Photoshop and comes out bad on your printer then it seems more like a printer problem. I would try saving as PDF, printing it outside of PS, and see how different file type effects the end result.

pkwickart2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auieos wrote:
If it looks fine in Photoshop and comes out bad on your printer then it seems more like a printer problem. I would try saving as PDF, printing it outside of PS, and see how different file type effects the end result.
Quote:

I wish I could say I haven't tried that, but I have. I have emailed the art that I have finished to one of our other computers (PC) and they send the same art to the color copier and have the same problem. Which makes me think it is something in the way I have saved the art. So, I have tried other formats, higher resolution, burning it to a disk and printing from that, opening the art in Illustrator, placing the art in a new Illustrator document and still have the problem.

We have had the Ricoh tech come in and check out the color copier. He has changed fuser units, developer units, and consulted other techs and still have the problem.

Any suggestions would be completely appreciated.

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cross platform test before anything drastic.

pkwickart2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
I would cross platform test before anything drastic.
Quote:

If I made it sound as if it's only a 'cross-platform' printing problem, it isn't.
Even if I develop the art in Photoshop CS3 for Mac and print it out from either a Photoshop (Mac) file or as a .pdf that was developed from the same file, I have the problem.

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't shout but...

have you tried other printers?

or

Depending upon the type of Printer (Inkjet...) you may find that you need to decrease the dot gain settings within Photoshop.

Heres a basic heads up

www.prepressure.com/design/basics/dot_gain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: