PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Setting Photoshop monitor profiles when using dual displays?
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Towsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Setting Photoshop monitor profiles when using dual displays? Reply with quote

First post here, looking for a little help...

I'm using a Macbook Pro connected to an Apple Cinema Display under OS 10.5.8. Both monitors are calibrated. I export from Lightroom to Photoshop in ProPhoto. The Photoshop working colour space is also ProPhoto so there is no mismatch there.

When in dual display mode I like to have my Photoshop application on the Macbook screen and the photo I'm working on shown on the Cinema Display. In fact, I couldn't work any other way because the laptop's screen is not at all suitable for precision work.

I noticed that when I send an image from Lightroom to Photoshop CS4 for further editing the colours were off in Photoshop (when viewed on the Cinema Display). This lead me to check the monitor profile used by Photoshop and I saw it was using the Macbook Pro .icc profile. This seems to be used even if the image is displayed in the external display. Selecting the Cinema Display as "default" in ColorSync doesn't change the situation. As a result, the colours as displayed by Photoshop are incorrect.

The only "solution" I have found is to either go to System Preferences > Displays and select the external monitor as the principal one (which is inconvenient because it negates many of the advantages of using dual monitors) or setting the Cinema Display's .icc profile for the Macbook Pro as well (which makes it the one chosen by Photoshop but means I'm only working wiht one correctly calibrated monitor).

Is there a solution to this problem? Ideally I want to have both my monitors calibrated and Photoshop detect which one I'm using to view my photo. Failing that, I would like to have both monitors calibrated and "tell" Photoshop to use the Cinema Display as the principal monitor.

Many thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: