PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Remove sun damage and reduce grainy texture
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

froggy_flutter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Remove sun damage and reduce grainy texture Reply with quote

This is the only picture I have of my grandmother and I would like to remove the sun damage and reduce the grainy texture. I am redoing my website partly for a class using Dreamweaver but mainly because I needed to redesign my site. Right now I have taken my site content down. My grandmother and hopefully a picture of my grandfather will be on my site.

I have Adobe Web CS4 so any tips on how to improve this picture will be appreciated. I have taken a course in Photoshop but it didn't cover something with this type of damage.

[/img]

thehermit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the largest file you have?

It's still workable, I hope that retouches are what you want them to be.

Zonexl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what you have to do first is just sit down and do no nothing else but analyzing the issues and only then tackle them one for one, because there is no easy fix.

Few warnings/suggestions:

- Stay away from the clone tool in the face, it does more harm than good. Actually I didn't use it anywhere in the image.
- Make your edits as much as possible on separate layers, because it makes it easier to add blending modes, opacity, softening, etc and it allow a quick before/after check
- try to fix individual areas instead of attacking the whole image all at once. Noise removal for example should only be done where really needed
- Don't go too far. There is nothing wrong with an old image still looking old. You want to avoid to make it look fake.
- Pay the most attention to the eyes, they are the most important part of the face
- Never underestimate the importance of contrast, it will make an image pop. For this image don't do a quick contract correction on the whole image, but focus on specific areas. Selections, curves and dodge/burn are good tools for that.

Here's just a quick example that shows what's possible:

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Zonexl, some good advice too!

Zonexl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mattyboy777.

froggy_flutter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

My biggest fear is not getting a good result. You offered some excellent suggestions along with the work you did. She is a very important person in my life and this is the only picture I have. Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: