PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
12 GB of memory not recognized?
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

canoncarroll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: 12 GB of memory not recognized? Reply with quote

Hello everyone Does anyone know why PS CS4 only recognizes 3255 mb of availible Ram when in fact I have 12 GB on my i7 920 PC

niftyned

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just answered this same post in another thread. Windows only recognises 3 gb of ram regardless of how much you have installed in your pc.

canoncarroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: 12 GB of Memory Reply with quote

Yo niftyned-- thanks for the reply. Do you mean Photoshop only recognizes 3 GB of mem. Cause my system is Win 7 64 bit so Windows recognizes my 12 GB but PS CS4 doesnt seem to. What do ya think ?

niftyned

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running windows7 32 bit and it only recognises 3gb of the 4gb I have installed as did the previous 2 versions of windows but if the 64 bit version recognises your 12 gb I am going to seriously consider an upgrade. I am sorry I cant say what the photoshop memory limit is but maybe a search of the Adobe site may yield an answer.

thehermit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the link below:

"On OS X with the supported system versions, Photoshop CS2 can go to 3+ gigs. The actual amount could be 3.5 gigs or so, but due to certain reporting issues, it’s tough to say precisely. Tiger (10.4) will not expand beyond this limit since at the root, OS X is still really only a 32 bit OS with certain 64 bit optimizations and Photoshop CS2 is still a 32 bit application for both Mac & Win.

For Windows, the answer is more complicated. If you are running Win 2K or XP Home/Pro with SP1, the limit is still 2 gigs. With XP Pro & SP2, the limit is 3 gigs -IF- you’ve enabled the 3 gig boot switch, which can be problematic.

If you are running the released version of Windows XP 64 bit edition and are running either an AMD64 or Intel EM64T chipset, the limit will be 3+ gigs or so with the same issue of reporting issues.

That is not to say that Photoshop and your OS will not benefit by having more ram. More is always better (unless you have motherboard or ram chip issues). Having an excess of ram beyond what Photoshop can directly use will still benefit the system by reducing system paging and additional applications running will still be able to use the ram. With Photoshop CS2, the engineers are doing some special OS caching."

http://photoshopnews.com/2005/04/04/photoshop-cs2-how-much-ram-fact/

canoncarroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figured it out you guys. This is my first home built PC. After using it for about 4 months now I can confidently say I will NEVER buy another HP or anything of the like. I am not a computer genious I just did research on the internet and followed the directions to build it. I definetly encourage others to do the same. What I originally did was install PS CS4 into the 32 bit files in the O/S. That is why I could only access 3.5 GB of availible Ram in the
Preferences > Performace> Availible Ram. Mycomputer has 12 GB intalled on it. I needed to re-install PS CS4 into the 64 bit files on the O/S. Now I am able to access 11 GB of Availible Ram under Prefferences> Performance> totally sick.....
My system is: Cool Master case - Asus motherboard P6T Deluxe - i7 920 Processor ( although I overclocked it which is not hard to do nor is it dangerous to do with these new processors) It is designed to run at 2.7 but I have it runnin at 3.8. Latest but average video card - good power supply and 12 GB of Ram. I encourage others to build your own. Its not hard and very rewarding. Hope this helped others. Im still a beginner but happy at it. "keep on photoshopin.."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: