PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Moving from Elements to CS5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

WesternGuy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Moving from Elements to CS5 Reply with quote

I am currently using Photoshop Elements (latest version), but am contemplating moving to Photoshop CS5 when it is released. I know there are more "options" and things available in CS5, but I guess what I am wondering is whether or not there is any longer term benefits in doing so and will the transition be terribly painful?

For example, will I have to rebuild my image library from scratch, or will CS5 recognize the existing one and simply convert it? That is one of my main concerns. Also, knowing PSE8 reasonably well, will the transition be easier.

The other alternative is to stick to Elements and continue to learn the ins and outs of it and then convert to CS5 later, or maybe CS6 whenever it comes along?

Any insight that anyone would care to provide will b greatly appreciated Thanks.

WesternGuy

niftyned

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS will still recognize any image files you may have but I would be sure to organize them into one folder so you will find them easily after the upgrade.
I have heard this theory before about learning on elements first but my way of thinking is what about the features that are on the full version that are not included in elements. There will still be so much that you dont know so if you intend to get the full version eventually why would you not learn on that. I mean you wouldnt practice riding on a bicycle if you wanted to ride a Harley Davidson would you. I have a copy of elements that came bundled with a tablet that I bought and I thought I would have a look and see what it was like but after about two minutes I wanted to get back on the Harley.

WesternGuy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niftyned, thanks for your reply. You make a very interesting point about "learning". Definitely gives me food for thought.

WesternGuy

Claudia P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Moving from Elements to CS5 Reply with quote

WesternGuy wrote:
I am currently using Photoshop Elements (latest version), but am contemplating moving to Photoshop CS5 when it is released. I know there are more "options" and things available in CS5, but I guess what I am wondering is whether or not there is any longer term benefits in doing so and will the transition be terribly painful?

For example, will I have to rebuild my image library from scratch, or will CS5 recognize the existing one and simply convert it? That is one of my main concerns. Also, knowing PSE8 reasonably well, will the transition be easier.

The other alternative is to stick to Elements and continue to learn the ins and outs of it and then convert to CS5 later, or maybe CS6 whenever it comes along?

Any insight that anyone would care to provide will b greatly appreciated Thanks.

WesternGuy

I recently switched from PSE7 to CS4 so I can relate. First be sure to register your copy of CS5 there are perks. With CS4 (and I see no reason it will be different with CS5) I was given several options for a freebie for registering, I chose one month of lynda.com training for free and strongly suggest that as a choice. I have been going through training videos (much much more than just a tutorial) like a mad woman. I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned in a month's time.

PSE is a great program BUT CS4 and 5 are so so much more IF you take the time to learn how to use it.
They only have limited CS5 videos up so far at least compared to what they have for CS4 but I'm sure more are coming quickly and there are enough there already to help you out. You could also do Deke McClellan's CS4 one on one series there and that would give you a really good start then you could go on to the CS5 movies for the changes.

BTW the trial download of CS5 is now available at Adobe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: