PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Sharpen text of an old scanned magazine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

qshadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Sharpen text of an old scanned magazine Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have a scan of an old SciFi magazine called Astounding,
however the scan is from microfilm and of a very low quality,
here is a link to a page example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11493886@N04/4313861409/

i wonder if it is possible to improve it's quality and make it readable.
sharpen the text, or something.
I am a newbie in photoshop, so I need your help.

Thanks!
your help will be much appreciated by big community of old pulps fans!

if you are interested here is the full issues in public domain (only some of them are of the bad quality):
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Astounding%20Stories%22

pixel8or

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Levels in Text1 and I used UnSharp Mask with the following settings in Text2, Amount -> 109 and Radius -> 20.

qshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pixel8or wrote:
I used Levels in Text1 and I used UnSharp Mask with the following settings in Text2, Amount -> 109 and Radius -> 20.

Wow!
the difference is Astounding!
:)
Thanks pixel8or!

qshadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way,
i have hundreds of pages that need this fix,
any idea how can i do it automatically?
maybe some batch command or utility?

Thanks,
Qshadow.

magkelly

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty just fixing each scanned page in a large document would take you forever and it still wouldn't be ideal for reading. You're far better off making a pdf file of all the page images from the session and running that through a good OCR software like Omnipage. You might have to go back and make some spelling corrections where the OCR misses something but you'd likely get much cleaner type and a far more readable document out of doing it that way. I'd do that or maybe use voice recognition software. It would save you a lot of time.

How many hundreds of pages are you talking? Are you scanning a digital back up for the periodical in question here per chance or maybe planning for digital distribution? If so, if you are doing lots of issues OCR or talk type is definitely the way to go. Just correcting scans would take you ages for one magazine.

I'm not seeing any illustrations to work with here, but you could always scan those separately, clean them up, and set it back up with the text in a desktop publishing application if you needed to. But getting clear text sans OCR/voice typing will be time really consuming otherwise.

I used to do some scanning for a publishing house that was converting a lot of books over to e-book format? Doing it sans OCR/VT software it could take us weeks to do one 400 page book using individual scans and often the results were iffy. Using the software I could get one done in a week usually, sometimes less depending upon book length and the end result was always better.

It's tedious work no matter how you look at it, but it can be made a whole lot easier with the right software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: