PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
image resolution for printing (enlargement)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

prophet

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: image resolution for printing (enlargement) Reply with quote

Hi Folks, still having difficulty getting my head around resolution and all that stuff.

I found a web image which I want to incorporate, along with other images, as a sticker to slightly obscure the kitchen on our (floor to ceiling) thai restaurant windows 1m high from ground level.

As the original image is small at 49kb (600 x 400) this would represent quite an enlargement..

What need I do to obtain maximum enlargement quality for the finished sticker?

Thank you in advance.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For printing you need to consider PPI (pixels per inch). A web image is very low, usually around 72 PPI. When you try to enlarge an image like that the pixels get larger too, they become pixelated (you'll actually see the pixels).

If you use a program (Photoshop for instance) to increase the pixel density drastically, the program has to guess at the information it needs to create more pixels. Therefore the image will not look very good, expecially close up. And the larger you try to make it, the worse it will look.

Most printing you'd like to have 200-300PPI, depending on the viewing distance. In this case, even if this 600X400 image was 200 PPI , it would only yield a decent 3X2 inch print.

prophet

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that succinct response Hawkeye. It gives me a better understanding of the resolution issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: