PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Editing Photos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Julie-zhu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Photoshop is a very good and wonderful tool to edit the photos.
but it's a puty that i don't know how to use it.
Confused

I ever downloaded the Photoshop software and try my best to
research how it works. While i really do not understand it.

i really hope someone can told me how to edit photos.
Thanks very much! Angel

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and gave this it's own thread. :) Welcome, Julie-zhu.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Julie-zhu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
I went ahead and gave this it's own thread. :) Welcome, Julie-zhu.

Patrick

Thanks for your welcome,Patrick.
Angel

photorelive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well , it needs a time to be professional and needs not to give up and alot of practicing .. and my be training in any portrait studio ( even for free ) .. then once a day you will say oh ... its so much easy how i thought its so hard Big Wink

Myer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop is not just one program. It's many programs that work together or apart. Also, the effects you can use are varied.

I suggest you go to a public library or local book store and read through some of the photoshop books.

One of the many post-processing approaches will interest you. At that point I would find a manual that focuses on that approach. Read it. Understand as much as you can about your selected approach. Then use it. Use it. Use it.

For instance, I got interested in LAB because of the total separation of luminosity and color. As it turns out there's really only one book on the topic. Written by Dan Margulis. This book is heavy treading. I've read it a few times and expect to read it a few more times.

I don't even know how to touch an image using RGB.

BobbyB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Working with and Editing Raw File - HELP PLEASE! Reply with quote

Ok so i have a situation. My husband and I hired a photographer to take our wedding picture's. It turn's out he wasn't the greatest and in the end he just provided us with a disc of all the unedited raw files. Naturally when viewing these images they look terrible (dark, lot's of shadowing etc) and look much worse when printed.

The photographer told us that he doesn't know how to edit the pic's for us.. so basically I'm having to do this by myself. I'm currently using PS CS2 and want to edited the raw files images so I can make a album from this. The problem is I'm new to Photoshop and have no experience in editing images, so please excuse me if my questions don't make much sense:

Can someone please help me and tell me the basic's I need to know about editing images?

How can I open the raw images in PS - the file is a NEF file (DSC_0097.NEF) and I'm assuming I need to open it as a jpeg? how do I convert it? and what the best format to use to ensure good quality printing?
When editing raw images which file format should I be converting the images in? I'm - sRGB or aRGB?
Any other setting I need to be aware of to get best output?
What's the best method of editing raw file images? .
When saving the images, is there anything I need to keep in mind?

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED

Myer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe DSC files are from a Sony camera.

Yes, in order to do post-processing they must be in .jpg format.

If PS CS2 won't open them you can go to the Adobe web site and try downloading the latest RAW profiles for CS2. Since this version is rather old, they may no longer be available.

If you cannot get them to open in PS then try downloading the free RAW Therapee program from download.com

That's a RAW editor/converter.

It will probably allow you to open and do some editing before saving as .jpg.

Learning to use multiple program is tough so I would probably to minimal editing in RAW Therapee, save as .jpg and then go into PS CS2.

After converting to .jpg you have two issues that you want to address;

a) Correcting exposure. That's easier as you can do a fait amount with some of the straightforward tools such as Curves, Levels, Brightness/Contrast, etc.

Many of these tools do the same things but there are different levels of sophistication and control. Obviously, the more complex tools permit the most control. This is a matter of your experience and how much practice you've had and the amount of time you want to put into this.

b) Fixing things such as shadows, marks, blemishes, etc. These require more practice/skill and the use of tools such as Clone, Eraser, Healing among others.

In any case, the more time you spend learning and using the better the end job will be.

I hope this helps somewhat.

The thing about Photoshop is that as more sohphisticated tools are developed and refines, the less complex tools remain. Therefore, there are many ways to do the same thing. It's a matter of selecting an approach after doing some reading and experimienting, learn all you can about your selected approach and then use it to gain experience.

I think I mentioned that I selected a little known LAB approach for various reasons. Unfortunately it locks me into PS as I haven't really found it anywhere else. Also, there's only really one good book on the topic.

What I'm getting at is if you go to some people who've been using PS for years, some have them have never heard of LAB and others may have heard of it but never used it.

Pick an approach, learn it and use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: