PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Save As creates Jpgs not viewable in MS Paint, please help?
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Bulldogg629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Save As creates Jpgs not viewable in MS Paint, please help? Reply with quote

When I use Save As in CS3 to save a DNG as a JPG, the resulting jpg is not able to be opened by MS Paint. I get the message "Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported" It is able to be opened by windows preview and GIMP, but I like to use MS Paint as my main image viewer, and also when I'm saving jpg copies for people that have paid for these photos, I want them to be able to open them with any program. This was not always a problem, I used to be able to save jpgs just fine... and in fact now, jpgs that were saved and worked fine years ago, get the same error message when I try to open them now. Trying to open the jgps on another computer results in the same message.

I am able to save a jgp with save for web, but that reduces the resolution on photos intended for printing. Also I can save the DNG as a BMP, then open the bmp and save that as a jpg and the resulting jpg will open properly with paint, though that's a long process when you have many photos. Either way, both of these work around wipe the meta data and exif, and I cant have that either

I'm at an utter loss as to why it started doing this and what I can do to fix it, I have uninstalled and reinstalled CS3 to no avail, and am even considering a full reformat in hopes that a fresh system will take me back to it working like it used to.

Does anyone have any idea or help for my problem? Thank You

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Bulldog629. Don't know if this link helps any?

www.windowsreference.com/general/unable-to-open-jpeggif-files-in-ms-paint/

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-95/mspaint-wont-open-files-properly/158768.html

The real question perhaps should be, why are you using MS Paint to preview your files? Windows viewer is basic but would do and there are a host of free image viewers out there all of them with more functionality and just as quick to open images.

Bulldogg629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I use MS Paint....well for myself, I like it because I can quickly cut and paste parts of photos into others to see quick side by sides or do cropping. Though the main problem is not that I use it, but if someone pays me to take photos for them, then I give them a disc full of jpgs that wont open on MS paint... odds are they dont have all of the image programs that I have, they either rely on paint of preview. Also, if these files cant open in paint, I dont know what else they cant open in, what if the various companies I use to print cant open them either. I know they will open in PS, Gimp and windows preview, but thats not a very good cross section of what other people use.

Thank you for the links but they didnt seem to help. They were more for the problem of piant only being able to open BMP, and since I have Office 2003, my paint can open jpgs, just not jpgs made by photoshop using Save As.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: