PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
[PF FT] Maximize Compatibility - Why? How?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: [PF FT] Maximize Compatibility - Why? How? Reply with quote

You may have seen the Maximize Compatibility warning message (see below) appear when attempting to save a layered PSD file.

If you have, you're not the only one!

The warning message explains that by turning maximize compatibility on, the resulting PSD file will be; well, more compatible with other software, as well as other versions of Photoshop. Indeed that's true, by turning the option on, we're telling Photoshop to not only save the layered document, but also a flattened version of the same file, so if the other application you're using the PSD file with, say, doesn't support layer masks - no problem! If you're importing the file into Premiere, After Effects or Encore to name just a few, and those applications don't support Photoshop's Color Overlay Layer Style for example - no problem! The application can simply use the flattened version saved inside the file.

So if maximize compatibility allows us to open PSD files in more applications, why don't we play it safe and answer yes every time we're asked? Well it all boils down to file size! If you're saving a flattened version of the file along with your beautifully crafted layers then the big drawback is going to be the increase in file size. So what do we do? Leave it on or switch it off?

If you go to Preferences (again, see below for a screenshot) you can set up how Photoshop saves layered PSD files, which means you can save a compatible version, choose not to save one, or have Photoshop ask you every time as it does by default. Which way you choose to go will depend on your workflow, if you only work in Photoshop then there's no need to save a compatible version, if you're planning to import the file to Lightroom then you have to, but I'm happy to let Photoshop ask me every time and then turn it off when I don't need it, and I’d say most of the time that’s the way to go!

Hope you found this useful, please feel free to leave comments and questions!

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

wizzkiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought about this warning Blush . Must say I don't mind the filesize, having two terrabyte of storage on my PC plus I got external drives for back-ups. So I save automatically for the maximum support (not that I need it often but you never know).

I like the tweaking tips of this forum Birthday Big Grin

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. :) Thanks.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks wizzkiddo,

I'm glad you found the tip helpful and informative!

Regards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: