PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Newbie: How to Sharpen the borders on this image
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

navinsamuga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Newbie: How to Sharpen the borders on this image Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
I am trying to clear the background on this picture but am having some problem trying to select the edges of the product cleanly. Can someone show me the correct way of doing it. If someone has a link pointing to a youtube video which shows this, then it would be great. I did search and watched quite a few of the videos but was unsuccessful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56626665@N05/5230354594/

Thanks much
Navin.

Bostone737

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trace the outline of the spools with polygonal lasso or regular lasso tool. When outline is complete, you can hold the Alt (or Option) key while using your lasso tool again to make a selection between the spool rolls that you do not want. When you hold the Alt(option) key a minus sign will appear to indicate that the selection you are about to make will be deleted from the original selection you made. If not familiar with that, give it a few test tries on a circle selection or something, also shift key will do the opposite so if you made a selection to small and want to add to it, use shift.

with just the spools selected, click the add layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers panel (box with a circle icon), to the layer that has the spools on it. That should hide everything that was not in your selection.

Go to Windows menu and click Masks and make sure the actual mask is selected in the layers panel and not the pic. In the masks panel that should now be open, click 'mask edge'. Play around with the smooth, feather. contrast, and shift edge features until it cleans it up to something you like. Maybe use the smooth a little bit, then contrast to sharpen the edge and then shift the edge in or out. Click OK

try youtubing or googling, 'masking edges' and 'layer masks'

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem as far as I can see is that it has already been horridly cut out from a background the masking is terrible already, so making a silk purse out of a sows ear is going to be next to impossible.

I would just use the magic wand and select the whites.

If I were you I would take or source a picture of another spool and render the effect in Photoshop.

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rough and ready 5 minute job to show you it would be better recreating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: