PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Trouble Printing CMYK with JPEG Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

The Warden

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Trouble Printing CMYK with JPEG Files Reply with quote

I am having issues with my printer who is saying my photo files in a booklet design are printing over saturated reds and greens because the pic files are JPEG/RGB. I disagree. Maybe someone can identify where I'm going wrong with this step-by-step:

Creating an advertisement page in Photoshop including graphics/text and photo images:

1- I drag a JPEG image into Photoshop which displays RGB settings.
2- Cut and paste it into a CMYK settings layer file (I am assuming this step converts the JPEG image to CMYK, conforming with the file settings?).
3- I now save this layered file (graphics, text, photos) to a JPEG file.
4- I insert this JPEG file into InDesign as a linked file.

InDesign displays the ad perfectly and just like the Photoshop version. However, when printed, skin tones take on red and slight yellow/green hues. The pictures looked slightly washed out like tabloid magazine photos, not like People Magazine photos. By the way, printer is using glossy print stock.

I'm stumped. Am I converting the file back to RGB when I save it to JPEG?

Thanks in advance.

Auieos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Printing CMYK with JPEG Files Reply with quote

The Warden wrote:
Am I converting the file back to RGB when I save it to JPEG?

When you open an image in Photoshop its header should contain the colour mode in brackets. Image > Mode > CMYK Colour.

If your using the 'save for web' option, the jpeg is most likely converting back to RGB.

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi The Warden,

Try saving the file as a TIFF instead, JPEG isn't really designed for this purpose. Also, auieos is right, if you're using 'Save for Web' rather than 'Save As', you're automatically going to get an RGB image, more than likely with no colour profile.

Hope that helps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: