PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Batch split images in two files
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Mindflyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Batch split images in two files Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently joined this forum in search of increase my knowledge in PS CS4, wich mostly I use to tweak images and photos. Now to the reason of the post...

I have a large number of image files (scanned comics) wich contains two pages per image file. Is there an action, script o wathever way to split the images, then save each one into separate files (one page per file)?

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Providing they are all the same size images, you should be able to record an action to do it.

Mindflyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try that.

Grom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

Hey Mindflyer.

I joined photoshop forums because I figured out how to do that a week or so ago and have been seeing this question several times on the internet. If you or anyone else is still are having trouble here's how you do it so you turn multiple files into double the files, each a seperate half and get them ordered/numbered correctly. Sorry it's long but I thought I should be detailed.

1. Before you even open photoshop create one folder to drop files you want to split aswell as order together and one folder for the completed files to save to.
2. Now open photoshop and load a copy of the image in the comic you want to split.
3. Click to open the Actions tab on the right of the screen(the rectangle with a triangle "play" inside)
4. Select the button at the bottom of the tab next to the trash can to "Create new action". Name it "View" and click Record.
5. Right click the image window bar(not in the window) and click "Duplicate" and then OK. Repeat this step on the duplication window so that now you have 3 windows open.
6. Right click the window bar now on the window that's that duplication of the duplication(already selected) and click "Canvas Size".
Under New Size, beside Width change "Inches"(or whatever it's set at now) to "Percent". Delete 100 in width and change it to 50(without the "Relative" option checked off). In "Anchor" select the middle right side Arrow. Hit OK and then Proceed.
7. Select the Duplicated Window behind the window you just cut in half. Repeat Step 6 but this time In "Anchor" select the Arrow on the middle left side. Hit OK and then Proceed.
Also, select the image at the back(original image) and close it.
8. Select the half window behind the one that is now also cut in half. Stop the recording with the Box at the bottom of the Actions tab.
9. With the original image window already selected click "Create new action". Name it "Save and Close".
Select File> Save As...
Doesn't matter what you save or where but what you set the Quality at will carry so set it "High" for this. Close that window. Stop Recording.
10. Now "Create new action", name it "Splitting"
11. Click File> Automate> Batch...
Set the Action to "View" that you created.
Set the Source to "Folder" and select "Choose...". Now select the folder you made at the beginning to hold the images BEFORE you split them. Set Destination to "None". Hit OK and Hit OK if it says "There were no source files...".
12. Now select previous document. It should be your first duplicated image.
Click File> Automate> Batch...
Set the Action to "Save and Close" that you created.
Set the Source to "Opened Files". Set Destination to "None". Hit OK and Hit OK if it says "There were no source files...". Now in Destination select "Choose..." folder you made at the beginning to save the images AFTER you split them. Check the Override Action "Save As" Commands box. A window will pop up hit OK.
Under "File Naming" In the frist drop down menu delete "Document Name" and type in what you want all the files to be named as, at the beginning. Open the drop down menu beside it that drop down menu and select "3 Digit Serial Number". Below the Document name drop down menu is the third drop down menu which will need to be set as "extension"(Not "EXTENSION").
The "Starting serial#" should be set at "1" unless some of the beginning files aren't two pages inwhich case you could set them at "2" or above to allow room for you to put them in. Hit OK. Stop recording.
13. Check if it's working so far by looking in the folder you're saving them at and seeing if you have two halves of the original image in order being named as you want them to be. If you have any problems first read over the steps to see if you missed anything and then reply with them.

TAH DAH! It's done.
Now delete those two files and the original, copy then paste all the images from the single comic to into your presplit folder and run the Action by selecting "Splitting" and clicking the "play" button next to the "stop" in your Actions tab.
Photoshop will seem like it's frozen but it's just working as it opens, resizes, and saves all of those files.
You can leave it working in the background as you do other things and come back to it in a few minutes.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, Grom. :) Welcome.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: