PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
PF FT: Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

swanseamale47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: PF FT: Wanted Poster Reply with quote

We have all seen the western style wanted posters and some places will even make them up for for a few £/$, but it's much more fun to make your own and here's how.

The first thing you need is a background. I used a sheet of paper, crumpled it up a bit and made a few tears and took the corners off to make it look used. Then I stained it in gravy granules, coffee should also do the trick, dry it off and we are ready (feel free to use the one I made here if you wish).

Next open a photo of your subject. I found a reasonably well exposed front lit photo worked best for this. Remember that you will have to extract the head and shoulders so make sure it stands out from the background. I used a white background for my shot.

Next, open the head shot in PS and double click the background layer in the layers palette to unlock it. Now you extract the head and shoulders. I used the extract filter here, but any method will do.

Now, with the head and shoulders extracted go to image/adjustments/desaturate and then open filters/sketch/stamp. I used 34 and 3 but they will vary. Play around to get a sort of drawing effect.

Now, open your crumpled paper background. You want both images open and ready.

Using the move tool click and drag your head shot onto the stained paper background, then edit/transform (hold down SHIFT to keep the proportions) and size it by dragging the corners. After that, double click inside the image to apply the transformation. The last part here is to open the layers palette and change the head layer to multiply blend mode.

Now for the text, I used a font called Wanted Poster Caps (honestly!) and you can download it from Abstract Fonts. There are also a couple of similar fonts called Western and WildWest. There are even more in the Old West category, so feel free to check those out, as well.

Then, with the text tool, add your wanted text. I used a fairly large font (120 point), but I was working on the A4 size at 300 dpi. And there's your wanted poster!

For the last image, I used the filter/distort/shear function to round the poster to fit the tree and added a few fake nails with the rounded marquee tool and layer styles bevel/emboss.

Have fun, it's nice to be "wanted"!

Wayne

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

wizzkiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year for a school project I used this tutorial:
http://www.adblaze.com/forum/web-design-tutorials/1265-how-make-old-western-wanted-poster-photoshop.html

It is a bit more detailed then this one.[/url]

jimrockford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great tutorial. Thanks

netqueen33

PS Version: CS2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne & wizzkiddo,

Thanks for the excellent tips. I've been thinking about using the "Wanted" theme to make several pics of my best friend who's turning 50 this July. It's very nice having helpful directions instead of trial & error. They'll look great at the party. Birthday Big Grin

rikonrahman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: