PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Can't copy images to photoshop
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

mickibob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Can't copy images to photoshop Reply with quote

I've downloaded my first pictures from my new camera (Canon t3i) and they all showed up as icons in my Pictures folder as expected. But when I double click to open a picture from the icon, go to select all and copy, the picture doesn't come out when pasted in the photoshop window, only a grey mess with some colors in it when I to paste it into a photoshop window.

As if this isn't enough, pictures that were taken in virtical format copy perfectly into a photoshop window. Horizontal pictures only are the ones that are don't come out. EXCEPT - if you open a horizontal image from an icon and make it vertical - then select all and copy does it copy properly into a photoshop window.

Two other cameras were used on this trip, both point and shoot canons that have worked perfectly for years and their pictures copy perfectly into photoshop as they always have. Only horizontal icons from the new camera are a problem.

I'm running mac 10.5.8 with Photoshop Elements 6.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Auieos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried opening up the picture directly using Photoshop instead of copying it?

Not sure how the problem is occurring however it could be something to do with the camera.

mickibob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI - Thanks for your help.

Yes, I figured out that I can drag / drop the image icon into photoshop and it opens. BUT - when I do the image comes out large in size 72" x 48",
5184 x 3456 pixels but the resolution is only 72 pixels per inch. If I understand this correctly, that is not enough resolution to make enlargements.

If I change the size of the image and resolution in photoshop to 300 pixels / inch the image degrades.

The camera is set to record high quality images but I don't understand why the resolution is only 72 pixels / inch. Will this print enlargements or is there some way when opening the image in photoshop that the resolution is higher?

Thanks
Bob

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
1. the vast majority of cameras the pixel density is only 72 ...... and it not a issue...
2. what important is the pixal deminsions ......the larger the pixel deminison, the sharper and clarity the image will have for a given printed size...
here a chart: http://www.urban75.org/photos/print.html
3. one generally will change the 72 ppi that comes from the camer to 300ppi before printing... this will insure theprint quality of the printer... note: for epson generally 360 ppi
4. on your 2nd posot... if you change to 300 ppi from that 72 you'll find the the inches will be reduced... changing the resolution will not degrade the image however if you try change the deminsion significantly now that degrade quality ie you you have a high def file but you print it on 3x2" paper... well the pixl deminsion will radically change and you can quality...

bottom line don't worry about the ppi untill you get ready to print or if there some editing requirements.

Tyssul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Mac + opening pics problem. Reply with quote

[size=18][/size]Hi Mickibob, I'm new to cs5 and not so good with my eyesight but I have no problems opening pics into photoshop and do the same now as I did with PS7, Forgetting your degrading quality for now as this shouldn't be an issue I just right click on on the pic and in the drop down menue >Open with > Just left click on PS on the pic opens imediately, otherwize search from PS via the bridge for the folder holding your pictures and left click on the one you need to open > Ok > Pic opens in PS.
Maybe I have missunderstood what your problem actualy is and I'm just plain ignorant? I hope not and trust this will solve your problem the simple way instead of trying to get to technical, working the hard way first!!
Keep it simple and I hope this helps you.

...Tyssul...
PS. I'm running CS5 win 7 - 64bit so not sure about Mac's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: