PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
removing the spotlight effect?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

rock1

PS Version: Photoshop CS6 Extended

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: removing the spotlight effect? Reply with quote

how can i remove the spotlight effect on images like this? I clicked this image of a sketch present in a sketchbook of my friend.

Auieos

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using Image > adjustments > Shadows/Highlights.
Play around with the settings to make the drawing stand out more and the dark parts of the picture less apparent.

Then duplicate the image onto another layer and change the blending mode to screen to lighten it.
Use a layer mask to even out the overall tone of the image.

I used the mask mostly to get rid of the shadows along the top and in the bottom corners.

rock1

PS Version: Photoshop CS6 Extended

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This method is not area specific :P. anyway....in the layers mode, does one image has to be original and one with the changed highlights?

on which layer do i have to change the blending mode?

and how can I Use a layer mask to even out the overall tone of the image.

Auieos

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second layer is a duplicate of the first layer after the shadows/highlights have been changed to make the drawing stand out more and lighten the dark parts of the picture.

So the top and bottom layers are the same, its just their blending modes that are different.
The top layer has the blend mode set to screen and the bottom layer is just normal.

If you look at thumbnail of the layer mask (highlighted below) it shows the areas in black which have been masked out and the areas in white which are there to even out the tone.
This works because this layer with the mask has the blending mode of screen which only effects the darker colors of the layer below.

Initially when the top layer is set to screen and has no mask the lines of the drawing will look faded. Don't worry about this as it's corrected by the black areas of the layer mask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: