PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How to Make a Good Grunge Signature
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Stealthboy50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: How to Make a Good Grunge Signature Reply with quote

Most people, starting out with signatures, can never get the right look on their render, nor their background. Here is a very simple step by step guide to making a good grunge signature.

Step 1. Get some good brushes.

Before you start, always get some good grunge brushes, at a site like deviantART. You really do need some good ones. Download any brushes that strike your fancy.

Step 2. Create a new document, about 400x200 in size and make sure it's black. Now press CTRL+SHIFT+N to make a new layer. Get your grunge brushes out and select the color #FFCC3C. Now, I am using an abstract set by MetalCX, because abstract brushes can be used for a grunge effect. If you have done it all right, you will get something like this:

Remember, keep swapping brushes and only click once - that way it looks much better.

Step 3. At the moment, it looks nothing like the gold effect you want. But, here is a simple trick that will make it look golden. Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Brightness/Contrast and put the contrast to 73%. Put the brightness down a little bit and experiment with it. The most I would go to is about 20%. For mine, I am using 14% .

Step 4. We have a very, very nice background. But, a signature is nothing without a render. Once you have the render that you would like, open it in Photoshop and copy it. You should have something like this without the render:

Step 5. Resize the render, hold shift and drag it diagonally - this keeps it in scale and stops it from getting squashed. I would leave it quite big.

Step 6. Here's a big problem: the render looks like someone has glued it on and it does not blend in well. Here is how to make it fit in. But, let's first take a look at what you might have before:

Take a good look at this image and compare it to the after image below.

Step 7. Take a soft eraser and have it on opacity of 35%. Go around the outside of the render with it. Take the sharpen tool, put it on 50% strength and go over the render ONCE. Finally, take the burn tool and go over the render. This is what I have now:

Looking at it here, it looks a lot better.

Step 8. Now for the final stage.

Add your name, in any font you want. Find a good tutorial for fonts and add it. But, you need a cool quote, right? Such as...

"Don't look conspicuous: it draws fire."
"Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot at."
"When in doubt empty the magazine."

Just something nice to add to your signature. Personally adding a quote to a signature adds more than anything else.

I hope you liked the tutorial. Thanks for reading. Please comment (PLEASE).

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission. :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial Stealthboy50!

THEMASK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Stealthboy50 nice work

ElPires

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial mate.
Appreciated.

cybapirate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW nice tutorial bro many thanks wanted to start getting into doing signatures thanks Big Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: