PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Which scratch disk to use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

AlexNewstead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Which scratch disk to use? Reply with quote

I have recently decided to invest in a decent system I will be using to edit fairly large (20-60mb) photo files in cs6. Having only ever used fairly low spec hardware with a single drive I went for the new imac with i7 3.4ghz processor, 8mb RAM (which I will immediately upgrade to 32mb myself to save money) and the 3tb fusion drive.

What I want to know is how people think this mac will perform using an external laCie 120gb ssd as a scratch drive? As I said editing multiple, large files in cs6.

Also any suggestions on an alternative external ssd for scratch?

Auieos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an SSD as a scratch disk will shorten it's lifespan considerably.
SSDs have an absolute write limit so the more you write to it the faster it will fail.

Quote:
how people think this mac will perform using an external laCie 120gb ssd as a scratch drive?

It should perform amazingly. Think of using a SSD for a scratch disk as an expensive luxury.

Quote:
Also any suggestions on an alternative external ssd for scratch?

Intel have a very good name when it comes to SSD.

glaston1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend a 2nd internal SATA drive. For the sake of redundancy and to use for backups.
I'm assuming that when you say your iMac has "8mb" of memory, you actually mean GB. Which, if you upgrade to 32GB, your scratch disk usage will be very minimal. Photoshop uses the scratch disk in the same way windows uses virtual memory, or the way Unix/Linux use swap drives. When your system runs out of physical memory(RAM), Photoshop uses hard drive space on the scratch disk as virtual memory.
With 32GB you're not likely to run out of physical memory.

username18052

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"8mb RAM (which I will immediately upgrade to 32mb myself to save money.")

That is a really tiny bit of RAM.

username18052

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which scratch disk to use? Reply with quote

AlexNewstead wrote:
What I want to know is how people think this mac will perform using an external laCie 120gb ssd as a scratch drive? As I said editing multiple, large files in cs6.

If you are having issues with "Write Permissions," format the hard drive as exFAT with the Disc Utility in Mountain Lion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: