PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Printing a true black & white photo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

jmhultin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Printing a true black & white photo Reply with quote

I'm new to digital, after having dumped out all my darkroom chemicals, so please bear with me. I've scanned a number of my B&W negatives, I've manipulated them in PS elements 5.0, now I want to print them.

After spending a number of hours and bucks at Kinkos, I found that my $150 home inkjet does a better job.

The problem is, my B&W prints come out very "warm", almost sepia. (even the expensive laser printers at Kinkos came out warm). I like that sometimes, but not always. I've played with foreground colors as well as hues, mostly aiming towards blues, in the hopes of getting a "cooler" print.

In glancing at some of the posts here, I assume it has something to do with color management, but maybe somebody can clue me in.

Thanks.

wave of light

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are obviously way ahead of me in the 'photo' profession. However, what I can tell you is there is a image adjustment in PS call Black and White. Not only does it turn your image/layer to B&W in gives you control over the Red, Yellow, Greena, Cyans, Blues and Magentas. Also you have some clever presents that might help you get that perfect B&W print.

Let me know how it turns out.

Oh, shortcut is ALT+SHIFT+CTRL+B

jmhultin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - I appreciate your input. I may have a different version of PS, but the oly Black & White option I find is under Enhance, Convert to Black & white. There I do have options for more Blue, Green or Red, but those seem to refer to colors of my original "color" photo.

My problem is that my photo appears purely b&w on the screen, but it prints with a different tint.

but maybe I misunderstood you, and I may needmore specific menu steps to understand.

John

wave of light

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm on CS4. The B&W menu is under Image>Adjustments>Black and White. When you select this, the option for colour selection and presents appears automatically.

On another note (and again, I'm no expert on this matter), you may want to look into colour settings SHIFT+CTRL+K and colour profiles. Most of the time, the colours you see on your monitor don't represent the colour(s) that are printed.

raz50

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is the printer setup? it could be the type of ink you're using (photo ink?) or the type of paper in combination with the setups. Just a 2 cents, maybe it's not even the problem.

jmhultin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using PS Elements 5, and I don't have that option under Image.

However, your tip on color profiles seems to point to the root of the issue. I selected "optimize for printing" and that helped, but it seems that I need to do some homework along those lines.

You got me headed in the right direction - thanks.

jmhultin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm not doing it according to the textbook, but I've played around with selecting different papers in my prenter setup, and each produces a different color tint. Apparently, there's a different color profile for different kinds of paper.

jmhultin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raz50 wrote:
how is the printer setup? it could be the type of ink you're using (photo ink?) or the type of paper in combination with the setups. Just a 2 cents, maybe it's not even the problem.

I think you hit the nail on the head. In the printer set-up, I found that I can adjust the colors, and by adding cyan and blue, that made my sepia tones more "black". I then discovered that by selecting different papers, that also changed the color hue.

Just like in the darkroom, I keep experimenting, and occasionally learning something.

maddie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JM did you ever get to the root of the problem and solve it entirely as I am having the same problem! Would appreciate any help. I am using CS6 and iPhoto and a cheap Canon MX870 to print.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: