PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Constant background removal tool or plugin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

l4tf2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Constant background removal tool or plugin? Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. Please be friendly with me, I'm just a simple photoshopper. Thanks for your time!

I'm looking for a tutorial for a tool or a plugin that could help me remove a constant background. Constant as in, like I have a specific pattern behind an image I wish to extract, and I would like any alike pixels from that image to be removed.

For instance, I have a street fighter character on a background. I have the image of the fighter whom I want to extract as well as just the background around him. I then want to remove any similar pixels, leaving just the fighter.

I know about the color range, magic wand and lasso tool, but it occupies a lot of time for me.

Is that possible? Thank you for reading and I hope you can help me. Thanks!

Regards,
l4tf2

//EDIT: The background alone and the background on the item will be 100% alike, same resolution and pixel colors, etc.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, l4tf2. Does anyone have any thought on this one?

Thanks,

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An image would help. There is no specific technique or singular method I know of, off the top of my head.

As mentioned before in the forum, if one element stays the same in the image (foreground or background) perhaps a mask from a difference layer could be fashioned.

l4tf2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for replying!

Here's an example I obtained from lolking.net 's model viewer.
So there's Master Yi on the lolking lolking lolking background which is constant, and just the background alone. Same resolution and pixels.

If you're wondering why I'm looking for this is because I'd like to make animations with these stuff but the backgrounds are quite time consuming to remove for each frame.

Thanks for anyone's help!

Regards,
L4TF2

//EDIT: By the way, I have no idea what masking is. I only know the basic stuff with the tools, magic wand and the lasso tool. I've been working around with the different Adobe products such as flash and fireworks for my animation. If you do know something I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

thehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand by your bed - I have provided some images to make it clearer.

Import both images into Photoshop.

Put the layer that is blank under the layer with the soldier.

On the layer with the soldier, change the blend mode to difference. You should see that the image is now the soldier on a black background.

Add a levels adjustment layer and make the image brighter.

Select>Colour Range and do as shown. Select the background.

the selection should now be active, turn off the levels adjustment layer and you should have an accurate cut out - Ctrl+Shift+I to invert the selection and bobs your uncle.

On a separate note, you don't need the bottom layer or the layer named composite image. Just the two layers and then the adjustment layer.

l4tf2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Thanks a lot for replying!

I did as you said and it worked perfectly, thanks you so much! :)
I don't know how to thank you, this is extremely useful and I never thought this was possible. Thanks a lot! Is there any way for me to like, +reputation you somehow? Is there a feature like that on this forum?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Regards,
l4tf2

thehermit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I will send my halo around for polishing on Fridays for 1 month ;) Share the knowledge, not a lot of point keeping it to oneself.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: