PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
The mysterious shrinking GIFs - Help please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Damo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: The mysterious shrinking GIFs - Help please! Reply with quote

HI All,

I have searched for the answer to this question and still have no idea so please please help if you can. I use PS CS4 64bit on Windows 7. I am making GIFS for my website (I am an amateur photo editor). The first ones I made were perfect and here is one:

I made a bunch and uploaded them to my website, no worries at all. Then I tried a few weeks later do do some more and this was the result:

As far as I recall, I used the same method each time but the recent attempts even though in 'Save for web' have estimated file sizes of 400+kb, they save as 200 odd kb instead.

My method:
1. Crop in Lightroom to the desired size (4.22 by 2.81).
2. Export as 422 PX wide, 72dpi.
3. Open the 8 images in PS CS4 via Scripts, Load files into stack.
4. Then in the animation window I 'make frames from layers'.
5. Choose a 2 second time for each.
6. Save for web.

Can anyone see why my files have shrunk? Problem is that the newer ones appear patchy and don't have the detail I need. I have tried messing around with all the Save For Web functions and even reset my Photoshop back to default settings but still I am having no joy.

Cheers,
Damo.

Auieos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that you are on the 'optimized' tab in the save for web dialog and not on the 'original' tab.

By the looks of things you have saved the second gif with a smaller color table / less colors than the first image.

Make sure you select the 'GIF 128 Dithered' preset in the save for web options. (Top right hand side)

Damo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input. I have tried and they are better but still not as good as they were. Should I set the dither for a specific amount?

Cheers,
Damo.

Auieos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah have a play with the dither and more importantly try some different color reduction algorithms (the drop down box where it says 'selective')

If you're still having trouble then upload the original file and I will personally have a look and see if I can figure out where its going wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: