PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Photoshop goes to 8bit mode when I open 14bit DSLR images
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

tnj1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Photoshop goes to 8bit mode when I open 14bit DSLR images Reply with quote

My Nikon D5100, according to [url="http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/slr/consumer/d5100"]Nikon specifications[/url] is a 14 bit camera. Yet when I open the image with Photoshop, I get the Camera Raw box come up. At the bottom is a blue line with colour details that has the file as an 8 bit file.

I can then change this to 16bit, but my question is why Photoshop is decreasing the colours?

Auieos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you change bit depth in the workflow options, after you click OK those setting should now be default.
They will be applied to the current photo and to any photos that you subsequently open into Camera Raw.

Photoshop chooses 8bit depth by default to keep things simple (as some things don't play nice with >8bit images) and because 16bit is aimed more towards power users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: