PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Blur filter encroaching into mask
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Davo78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Blur filter encroaching into mask Reply with quote

I have tried to move a background into a file, and have tried to blur this background, (without blurring the actual main image, which I masked out).

The problem is the blur from the background is encroaching onto the main image. I thought that with a mask, changes would only be visible to the unmasked area?

I have used field blur, but have also tried tilt blur so I guess this isn't the issue...

I have attached 2 pics to demonstrate, one (screen shot 2) taken with the original background behind the masked out meat before blurring. Here you can see the meat has visible, crisp edges.

The second shot (screen shot 1) is after blurring the background and shows the problem described, noticeable on the right hand side of the meat where the background encroaches onto it.

Not sure if it's a feathering / mask edge issue with the selection (I'm new to PS), but it seems strange that the encroaching issue only happens when blur is applied, and not otherwise.

Many thanks for any help on this - much appreciated!

Auieos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought that with a mask, changes would only be visible to the unmasked area?

This is correct however your mask is being effected (blurred) when you use the blur filter as it is linked to your regular layer.
Uncheck the chain link icon between the two before you do the blur filter.

In future to check out what your layer mask looks like you can make it visible in the channels tab or highlight your layer mask and go up the top to Select > Refine Mask...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: