PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How to get this slight vintage colour correction?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

carlydame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: How to get this slight vintage colour correction? Reply with quote

Hi there!

I'm wondering if anyone could graciously give me any advice on what tools to use to achieve the affect of the example photos attached. It's hard to pin-point exactly what I like about them but they are slightly grainy with a very light vintage feel to them. At first I thought the colour correction was achieved from using curves, but no matter how much I played around in curves, I couldn't get a similar effect. Then I played around in the Selective Colour tool but still to no avail... They don't look like they've been heavily post-processed, just a few tweaks but I can't seem to figure out what they are...

Any advice and I'd be so grateful xx

Thanks!

Auieos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure its soft blacks, cooling filters and maybe a tiny bit of desaturation.

It's always very hard to tell without seeing the original but you can always put your photo and their photo side by side and either work yours towards theirs or theirs towards yours to find out what they have done and what you need to do.

I just changed one of the examples provided by you to what I would consider closer to what the shot may have looked like originally.

Also the grainy or hard feel to the photo can be enhanced using the clarity slider in camera raw or light room.

carlydame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Auieos! What do you mean by soften blacks? What tool would you use to do that? Curves? Levels?

Thank you! :)

Auieos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soften blacks means the blacks become grey. (or a dark colour)
It leaves you with the gap in the histogram at the shadow end because you have moved the tones in the picture away from black towards white.

Yes you can use either curves or levels.
With levels you would pull the shadow output level across.
With curves you pull the bottom of the curve up.
Example below.

thehermit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, that without having a base image to change it is difficult to disassemble what changes have been made via curves or whatever means.

One thing you can do however, with all these images is reverse engineer. If you colour corrected the image back to a 'normal' shot, you should be able to analyse the curves and levels to replicate what has been done.

carlydame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Auieos and thehermit! I think combined you may have solved the mystery :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: