PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
question about dpi and sharpness after manipulation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Coral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: question about dpi and sharpness after manipulation Reply with quote

I have a question about layers and dpi.

At the moment I'm playing with photography of paint. I've duplicate my layer and applied free transformation > twisting. After that, I go to laagstijl (layerstyle? I'm sorry, I have the Dutch version and hope my translation is right). There are two sliders (?), one says: this layer, the other says underlying layer. I put the manipulated layer on - about - 40%. I like the result and I'd like to make a print on canvas of this, and hang it in the garden.

But... something strange happens: the background layer has 72* dpi, but now the other layer has 214 dpi. The size of the background layer is 33 inch, the other about 10. I understand that the manipulated layer should not have equal dpi, but it would be more logical if it had less dpi.

My questions are: if I want a good print of this, would 10 inch be the maximum?
If I’d like to have a print of 33 inch, would there be a way to fix that? And if the answer is yes: How?

My English is not so well, hope you just as well understand my questions.

* I learned on the internet that since I use a Canon camera, 72 dpi is the same as 150 dpi when I’d use a Nikon, for example. So when I print a file which has 72 dpi, it should be ok.

Auieos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print standard is usually 300dpi unless you will be viewing it from a distance.
You can probably get away with 214dpi.
72dpi printed will generally look bad.

As far as I know Photoshop should have a single dpi (ppi) value/setting for the whole canvas... So saying that your two layers on a single canvas have different dpi is confusing me.

Your background will need to be reduced in inches from 33 to around 10 to achieve the 214dpi value like your other layer. (72 x 33" is around the same value as 214 x 10")

So yes, around 10 inch be the maximum.

The only way to fix this to get a 33" image is find a higher resolution copy of your background or use advanced enlarging software such as photozoom pro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: