PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
working with large sizes, how to be more efficient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

bulandun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: working with large sizes, how to be more efficient. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend with a poster he wants to print to the size of 80cm X 180 cm. I started working on it and created a template 80cm X 180cm with resolution at 250 pixels per cm but I'm finding the file is huge and takes a long time to add effects, render, save etc.
How can I do this more efficiently? Would it be ok just to create a file 8cmX18cm at 250pixels per cm? and tell the printer to print it at 80cm by 180cm. Will the quality remain good?

Thanks

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, 250 pixels per cm is way to much, 300 pixels / dots per inch is the usual commercial standard.

I often find one can get away with an effective dpi of 240, which would mean you could increase the size by 25% in both width and height and get away with it qualitywise.

There's a reason larger images cost more money to design, it is because of the lack of resources you just described. (An alternative could be vectorizing any resources so they are scalable to any size without losing quality, it will take a lot of time though).

If the lack of resources is that heavily, choices are to be made.
- Getting other subjects for which you will have access to proper resources (or make them yourself when needed)
- Losing quality on curtain resources
- Losing quality on the whole poster

TL;DR
Double check wether it is really 250 dots per cm, if so correct to 300 dots per inch. This will give a lower file size right from the bad.
Work at 300dpi on the size you want the product to be and scale resource images maximum towards 125%.
If this still doesn't yield the image sizes you desire, choices on the subject and possible loss of quality have to be made.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: