PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Swatch colours to a gradient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Johnc1966

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Swatch colours to a gradient. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a colour swatch with 256 colours on it and would like to create a colour gradient using the same colours.
Rather than manually guessing which colour belongs at which percentage on the gradient is there a way to do it using a selection tool or something? Or is there a way to order the colours in the swatch and then assign them to the gradient manually.
Basically I am trying to take away the guess work and get a more accurate gradient which corresponds to the colours in the swatch.

Many thanks.

Auieos

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there is a quick/easy way to convert a swatch library to a gradient inside or outside of Photoshop however I don't have much to do with gradients so my knowledge on the topic is very limited.

Here is information on the gradient file format which could be useful for scripting:
http://www.tonton-pixel.com/Photoshop%20Additional%20File%20Formats/gradients-file-format.pdf

If I were you I would be tempted to contact this guy/girl and they are likely to have more answers than I do.
http://www.tonton-pixel.com/blog/contact/

Make sure to let us know how you went if you do.

Johnc1966

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auieos,
Thanks for the links, I have just sent a question to tonton-pixel.com.
I will let you know the reply.

Cheers.

Johnc1966

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a strange one this.
I have seen many colourised greyscale images of Mars from the rovers on Unmannedspaceflight.com but when I try to search for 'colorise image' on Google all I get are tutorials on how to paint by numbers onto a black and white image of an American Indian or something similar. These are just someones idea of what they think the image should look like.
The Martian landscape doesn't change that much in terms of colour so a gradient would cover most scenarios and I could tweak it manually as needs must.
I just want to take out the guess work in assigning colour to greyscale level if I can and therefore make it more accurate if poss.

Thanks again.

Auieos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you're still around but try using gradient map for coloring grey-scale images using gradients.
You can set it as an adjustment layer or through IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > GRADIENT MAP.

Might get you where you want, hopefully you don't spent too much time in tweak town. Big Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: