PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
I know exactly what has been done. how do I undo it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

pbhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: I know exactly what has been done. how do I undo it? Reply with quote

I hope this is the right forum section for this.

Greetings All.

I have a problem. or, perhaps. a puzzle, if you would like to think of it that way.

I have a set of three images, each with exactly the same "water mark"

the "water mark" is a layer of FF0000 at ~33% opacity planted on the image.

That is all it is! and for some reason, it buggers the snot out of me that, even though I can get the selection just perfect. and even 'recreate' the water mark layer. (lets be honest, a filling a selection with RGB red, and changing it's opacity is not hard.) Even though I know exactly what has been done to the image, I just cant seem to undo it!

and yet it seems to be something which should be so easy!

What should make it even easier, is that in one of the images, there is absolutely zero red in the image except the water mark, everything else is greyscale or blue/green.

content aware fill makes unacceptable mistakes.

I have tried 'subtracting' and 'dividing' my duplicate water mark layer from the tainted image both seemed to make progress... but subtracting leaves the white areas dark, and dividing leaves white areas pink, while turning dark areas cyan.

I have tried all the image adjustments which make sense to me to use... some of which, again made 'progress'... none of them are anywhere near 'unnoticable'.

attached I have created a 'test image' with a 'water mark' of identical properties to the one i am having issues with. to sort of visually get across what my problem is. the 'water mark' has also been attached, in case someone wanted to fiddle with it, and needed an easy selection.

Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated! thanks!

watermarkproblem1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.71 KB
 Viewed:  548 Time(s)

watermarkproblem1.png

watermarkproblem2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.88 KB
 Viewed:  548 Time(s)

watermarkproblem2.png

pbhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to set a rule?

Like. If I know that an area which is #Fdb3b5 is supposed to be #FFFFFF

and that a color which is #480000 is supposed to be #000000

Is there any way to set up some sort of interpolation function which causes all pixels of my selection to change based upon that function?

I suppose I could manually go in with the magic wand, and tell it to select all fdb3b5 pixels, and then manually paint them all white, and so forth... but that just seems like no fun at all.

pbhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, though a combination of brute force pixel replacement, and content aware fill, followed by erasing the parts where content aware messed up... I have managed to restore 95% of one image.

Of course the parts that remain, are the tricky parts, too complex to brute force, and too confusing for content aware to understand.

I now kinda see the hard part of this problem. The light/white areas are made darker by the graffiti, and the dark/black areas are made lighter. Maybe a separate adjustment for various color ranges would work best?

Or, again, i am really hoping i am simply just missing something stupid.

pbhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some fantastic progress, that i am so thrilled about I just had to share.

The 'curves' adjustment! It gets me very close to the linear interpolation function I talked about earlier!

by setting the blue and green to have a higher output, so that 190 input = 255 output, and the red to have a lower input, so that 80 input = 0 output, it almost immediately solves the issue completely!

I am going to fiddle with my selection a bit, but it is damn close to completely healing the image!

Open Mouth Smile

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome, pbhead. What is your purpose as far as removing the watermark? Whose watermark is it?

Thanks,

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

pbhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Hello and welcome, pbhead. What is your purpose as far as removing the watermark? Whose watermark is it?

Thanks,

Patrick

It is not really so much a watermark, as it is graffiti. just like my test image. I called it a watermark, cause I figured it would be a similar process to remove.

Not sure whose 'watermark' it is... but I do recall that when I originally found/downloaded the set there was a line of text... that was something like 'This is what power must feel like.' or something such similar, most assuredly with respect to the act of placing the watermark/graffiti/whatever on the images.

Your power may enough to prevent a google image search, perhaps, but clearly not powerful enough! ha! Ha Ha! MUAHAHAHaa-oh. sorry. Halloween is tomorrow.

Removing it, because I was tired of it sitting in my digital art collection folder for who knows how long, and being ugly instead of looking nice.

All that said...

The formula I went though... Selecting the appropriate area, and then using the curves tool to compensate... and finally using content aware on just the single pixel edges between the mark and the image, probably could be used to remove any translucent water mark without gradients.

Which might be frowned upon. which I assume is why you are asking.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info, pbhead. It sounds like you have already achieved what you were after. But if not, you could attach the images here.

Thanks,

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: