PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
learning the art of Photoshop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

SimonT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: learning the art of Photoshop Reply with quote

Just a newbie starting out so please no flames yet :-) for my stupid questions. I would like to learn a how to use photoshop so i can create logo's buttions and banners for my website sorry have to start small.

This is the first logo that I would like to know how to recreate. Am I right in saying it has a drop shadow ? it also has the letters very close together whats that called ? kerning ? if some one could give me a quick breakdown on what I need to do that would be great. Also what type of font is used when I use my normal windows fonts to create images they look realy bad so any tips on fonts would be great.

Thank you to any one that takes time to read this post and to help me out on my long Journey I hope it will be a fun and intresting with help from members of this forum:-)

down-logo.gif
 Description:
Download logo image to be shown how to recreate
 Filesize:  2.04 KB
 Viewed:  2227 Time(s)

down-logo.gif

Kinja Kahn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what you have done to "squeeze" the letters together, but I am pretty sure its not a drop shadow, I looks to me like you have a stroke applied, a stroke will outline the letters in a configurable thickness of color, or in this case absence of color.

platinum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Simon,

first off, if you havn't already, go to the "window" menu and make sure the "character" menu is checked (if not check it).

You can get the letters closer (called traking) really easily. in the characters pallete look for the option that has an "AV" with an arrow under it, and set the value to -50 or -75.

To get the stroke, just click the layer styles button (bottom left of the layers pallete) and select "stroke". :)

» Platinum-Central

SimonT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for getting back to me on this guys and for you Platinum to give me such idiot proof instructions Big Grin Here is my first try when I applied the style to text I just about fell off my seat I never new that just doing 2 clicks could transform a image and add such a nice effect. My next question it looks a bit grainy is there any way to make the image a bit crisper is the grainie effect caused by me saving it incorrectly (I saved it for the web) while I wait for another answer I am playing with photoshop and reading as lots as many online tutorials :-) thank you both for spending time to help me out on this LOL

first_try.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.81 KB
 Viewed:  2209 Time(s)

first_try.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: