PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Blending background color into a pasted shadow?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Fabulist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Blending background color into a pasted shadow? Reply with quote

I have a scanned graphic in PS that will eventually be pasted into an Illustrator business-card file. The graphic is 2 color, very simple with some drop-shadows that fall on the solid white background.

I'd like to keep the shadows when this graphic is pasted in Illustrator onto the solid gold background.

If it weren't for the shadows I'd make the background transparent or make the graphic's background color the same as is used in the Illustrator file.

What are my options for preserving the shadows when transferring this to Illustrator?

I'm a serial noobie with PS (I have learn all over again every time I revamp my biz card) so step-by-step is best, or a link to an online procedure, or such is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

d^_^b

PS Version: CC 2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your scanned graphic is as simple as you say, it may be easy to remove the background. To do so, open the image;

1. Click the Layer menu > New > Layer From Background and click OK
2. Right-click the layer and select Blending Options

3. Adjust the background slider on 'This Layer' to remove the background

4. You can then save this as a .PNG or maybe even copy and paste it into Illustrator - sorry, but I don't have Illustrator to test.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/importing-artwork-photoshop.html

Fabulist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I know about making the graphic background transparent. The question I'm asking is what about the drop shadows? If I remove all background but keep the graphic including shadows, how do the shadows take on the color of the new background? A shadow isn't only gray, it's a gray tint of the background color, yes?

Thanks.

d^_^b

PS Version: CC 2014

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned you had a simple graphic with drop shadows. You didn't mention anything about the shadows containing some kind of transparency.

Without seeing the graphic in question, I gave the best possible advice I could have.

Again, without seeing the graphic, you may want to try and "lift" the graphic including the shadows from your scanned image using an alpha channel selection. This automatically gives it transparency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: