PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How do you make the pen tool not cause stomach ulcers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

rasputozen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: How do you make the pen tool not cause stomach ulcers? Reply with quote

I wrote this really funny/witty rant but accidentally hit F5 which refreshed the page and I lost the whole thing Frown What follows is the half-assed version.

I'm convinced the internal mechanisms of the pen tool rely on a random number generator somewhere, which is the only explanation for why when I try to just create a simple path with one handle per anchor point, I'll sometimes be able to alt click the anchor point to delete one or equally as likely it will delete both and I'll have no curve at all.

I've tried many times to understand this tool, always thinking it was just that I didn't know how to use it properly. But I'm now convinced it is this tool alone which is the very nucleus responsible for all of the suffering in the world. There's no way it could have survived at least 20 commercial releases and function with such perfect non-intuitiveness unless it was a practical joke for the devs. I truly believe this.

A path with one handle per anchor... is it possible?

hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to understand why you think you need a point with only 1 handle. But the fact is you can't delete just one handle on a bezier curve.

Bezier curves always have two, which can be moved independently. You can if you wish drag one handle into the point, but it's still there and is just hidden by the point.

rasputozen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird but I can get it to have only one handle sometimes, and other times not. It's very natural (at least to me) to have just one handle. Much more intuitive and less hassle.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have two handles, one is just hidden by the point. Drag on the middle of the curve and it will pull out.

rasputozen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! You were right. The pen tool's not all that bad now. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: