PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Need Help: Heightmap Contrast Lines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Avilnetro

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Need Help: Heightmap Contrast Lines Reply with quote

Hello. I'm working on a heightmap image for a game, but have run into a bit of an issue. Take a look at the two images below, image A (original image/template) and image B (my custom heightmap image):

Image A:

Image B:

(disregard the dotted border around image B)

Image B is the image I'm trying to modify. Basically, I want to get image B to be as visually exact as image A. I've opened my image up in a grayscale document and have been playing around with contrast, brightness, color, and level settings, but I just can't seem to achieve the same visual effect that the person who created image A have been able to achieve.

As you can also see, image A has vibrant lines going through the bodies of water, so bodies of water in image A are completely undetectable to the human eye. Whereas in image B, you can clearly see the yellow-colored bodies of water, and you can see the lines that are identical to the ones in image A if you look closely enough in the yellow areas.

Could somebody please help me out/post some ideas? I need the image to be as exact it can be so the heightmap transfers smoothly in-game. Thank you for the help in advance!

:P

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you rasterise it then adjust the levels? (I normally try these ideas out myself to make sure they'd work but I'm really pushed for time at the moment)

Avilnetro

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've figured it out. For anyone else who's having this problem, go to Image>Adjustments>Black & White and select "Blue Filter" in the Preset drop-down menu.

I might have to play around with the brightness and contrast slightly, but it more or less gives the effect I want.

Thanks for the reply, SC Photo Designs.

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs, glad your sorted :)

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Avilnetro. :) Thanks for sharing your solution with us.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: