PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction inconsistency
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Dinkdown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction inconsistency Reply with quote

Hiya!

The basics:
I'm opening desktop screenshots (taken off a Linux computer) in Photoshop (which is on a Windows 7 computer). Both computers have 2 monitors attached so these screenshots are wider than most. When I open the screenshot, I am required to uncheck the Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction option.

The main issue:
When I open the screenshot in Photoshop the Image Size is what it's supposed to be (2560 x 768). And when I separate the top monitor screenshot from the bottom monitor screenshot, align them together, and trim the transparent pixels, the new Image Size is 1280x768 (which is what it's supposed to be). However if I drag the screenshots onto a new document of the exact same size (like I have been doing successfully for years), each screen is about 11 pixels too wide (correct height).

All 4 monitors are the same size, although I think the Linux monitors have a different ratio than the Windows monitors.

The confusing part:
I had this same issue a year or two ago but somehow it fixed itself at some point (or maybe I did something to fix it, I'm not sure). Because for the past year or two, the screenshots have been opening and importing at the exact size they need to be.
However Tuesday my computer had a very weird hiccup (when logging off it blue-screened, but after restarting, it acted like nothing happened). Then the next time I opened Photoshop I got the message "This Extrusion file is bad or corrupted". After shutting everything down and turning it back on again (thanks The IT Crowd), it was fine and Photoshop opened with no problems. But my Preferences were all reset. My personal key binds were still intact (as well as my patterns and brushes) but everything else seemed to go back to Default.
Now when I open screenshots from the Linux, it's doing the same thing it did years ago. And I need to figure out how to fix it again because I design slot machine graphics for a living and all of the designs are very specifically located on the screen. Having the screenshots import at the correct size is of paramount importance. And I know it's possible because I've been having no problem with it for the past year or so.

Other info:
The screenshots end up being 11 pixels too wide, regardless if the Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction is ON or OFF first. The issue may be something different completely, but it's tied to the Ratio Correction in some way because for the past year, I haven't had to uncheck that option when opening screenshots. And now that Photoshop reset to Default, I do.

I'm not sure what other information to provide. I know enough about computers to 'get by' but everything is self-taught so I probably have some pretty janky processes of doing things.

Thanks for the help.. it's very appreciated :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: