PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Photoshop and Outlook Conflict
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

killasonna

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Photoshop and Outlook Conflict Reply with quote

Whenever working in Photoshop CS6, it virtually stops working whenever Outlook downloads new mail. The tools don't respond, selection doesn't work, etc. I have optimized PS, but cannot solve this. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey killasonna,

How much memory does your computer have? Do you optimize your Outlook database? For example, I have a separate Outlook database for each year. I don't rely on the Outlook default optimization. (Then again, I have an older version of Outlook, not sure if the latest version needs this or not). But perhaps it might help. You can find details here: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/782

Since you have taken a look at how Photoshop is running, you might now turn your attention to speeding up Outlook.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

killasonna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Photoshop and Outlook Conflict Reply with quote

Patrick, thanks for your input.

Memory: I have 16 GB in a pretty high spec Lenovo (4 years old) that has an Intel Core i& processor. My programs reside on a relatively new 1 TB SSD; photos on separate HDD's. I optimized PS following guidance on the web.

Honestly, I don't have as much knowledge about Outlook as I do Photoshop and LR. It didn't occur to me that Outlook might need optimization or tweaking. I will follow the link you provided and give it a try.

I'll report back.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing, killasonna. Can't hurt!

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

killasonna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Photoshop and Outlook Conflict Reply with quote

Patrick, before I even got to tweak Outlook, I discovered that Outlook is not the problem after all. I booted my laptop, did not start Outlook, disconnected WIFI, started LR, opened an image in PS (i.e. edit from LR) and began working. (Note: No other programs running.)

At first, all was fine, but eventually it became sluggish and eventually froze. I have done this a number of times now and have the same results. The scratch info in the bottom left corner of PS shows 2.29G/8.54G. As I work, the first number keeps increasing until it surpasses the second and then PS stops working.

What I don't understand is why does PS decide that the scratch disk amount is 8.54 GB. I have about 579 GB free on my C drive.

I have PS Preferences > Performace set up as follows:
Memory Usage: Let PS use 8,665 MB (of 14,687 available)

History States: 35
Cache Levels: 7
Cache Tile Size: 1024K

Scratch Disks: Drive C selected, which has 579.92 GB free space.

Graphics Processor Settings: The following are checked:
Use Graphics Processor
Drawing Mode: Advanced
Use GP to Accelerate Computation
Anti-alias Guides and Paths
(30 Bit Display is NOT checked)

Meanwhile, I remain thoroughly stumped.

Thanks for your help!

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had more thoughts for you, killasonna. This is a bit above my understanding. I could link you to some articles on optimizing PS performance, but you've probably already read them. Maybe someone else will have some thoughts.

Patrick

killasonna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Photoshop and Outlook Conflict Reply with quote

Patrick: Thanks for your efforts. FYI, it happens less often, but the behavior of LR is similar. Hopefully someone can shed some light on how to solve this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: