PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Scaling objects in 3D when extruding layer
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

jambog82

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Scaling objects in 3D when extruding layer Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I am doing something wrong. I am getting into 3D modeling so I can print my own designs. The first thing I am trying to design is a bit holder for hex bits to fit on a peg board. To do this I drew out my design in Illustrator. It is six inches long by half an inch wide. I want to extrude it to be .35 inches in height.

I create a new Photoshop document and simply drag my design from illustrator into the new Photoshop document. It is to scale (6" x .5"). I right click on the layer to select "New 3D extrusion from selected layer" and it takes me into 3D mode. However, now the 3D view says it is 152.48 in by 12.70 in. This is odd because that is the exact size in mm, but it doesn't say mm, it says in.

I can convert it and figure out that .35 inches is 8.89 mm, so now I can extrude it to 8.89 in. (yes inches, but it should really be 8.89 mm) When I export my 3D object as an STL and import into my XYZware printing program, it is scaled appropriately. It is however annoying working in mm when I want to work in inches and even more annoying that the mm are saying they are inches.

So basically, how do I get my scale to be correct? I'm fine with working in mm, but why does it display the mm as inches? I've attached a screenshot to try to better explain what I am seeing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: