PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Camera Raw puzzle
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

meditek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Camera Raw puzzle Reply with quote

I have PS CC and CR 9 which lists my camera. Here comes the daft question :-

Does C Raw automatically recognise the camera that took the raw photo (assuming the camera is listed) and adjust things accordingly or do I have to do something to enable it. I was hoping it would automatically adjust any shortcomings of my camera but I can see no indication of this and photoshop help simply make my head hurt and has been unable to clarify this major point - same with CRaw help pdf.

Thanks

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera raw doesn't automatically adjust your photos. You must decide how you adjust any given image.
You can assign presets if you wish and apply them as needed.

meditek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hawkeye"]Camera raw doesn't automatically adjust your photos. You must decide how you adjust any given image.
You can assign presets if you wish and apply them as needed.[/quot

So what relevance do 'supported cameras' have? I assumed they were cameras Adobe had tested for certain colour characteristics etc like they have on lenses and incorporated them into CR? So, even though no auto adjustments are made, is the camera automatically recognised?

Thanks for the help,

David

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the camera is supported it will be recognized, but it's up to you to make the adjustments.

meditek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkeye wrote:
If the camera is supported it will be recognized, but it's up to you to make the adjustments.

So it's recognised, but after reading posts (elsewhere) by people who have felt they had to buy to buy the latest release of CR in order to support their camera I had a strange feeling that there must be a benefit from that somewhere.

Please simplify by listing the benefits of CR recognising a camera and what exactly it does when it does or does not do when it doesn't?

Apologies for sounding too 'directional' but I am an old retired scientist who simply cannot be persuaded into the readings of the mush of Adobe help-hence these puzzles.

Thanks

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, if your camera isn't recognized then you can't download the raw files directly or edit them in CR.
For unsupported cameras: you can convert most raw files to Adobe DNG format for use with CR. It's free, just Google Adobe DNG converter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: