PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Question about PE9
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

bandonandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Question about PE9 Reply with quote

I'm using PE9.

I've been scanning some old black and white negatives. I scan them at a fairly high resolution and end up with a "tif" file of about 20 MB. The "tif" file is in 8-bit grayscale.

I often send these photos via email and so I make them smaller because some servers don't like a bunch of 20MB files coming through.

So, using PE9, I use the "File / Process multiple files..." function. In the options of that function, I may or may not rename the file, I make the file smaller (1000 pixels max width), and I convert it to a "jpg, medium quality".

This results in a jpg file that's easily sent via email.

My problem is that the resulting jpg file is in RGB format even though I started with a grayscale file.

I don't want an RGB file because they often confuse printers and have a color cast to them.

How can I use the "multiple files" function and still end up with a grayscale image?

Andy

thehermit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I don't use Elements and I'm pretty sure not a lot of people here will, so it can be tough to provide answers when in truth we don't have the software in front of us. Never let it be said though, that will stop me from trying.

Found This guide on batch processing, it seems to intimate that you can keep the original format. Obviously if it's not the answer you seek, I apologise in advance.

bandonandy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Question about PE9 Reply with quote

Thanks for the try, Hermit.

I tried using the export function; when I export a tif in grayscale format, exporting it as a jpg, I still end up with a jpg in RGB format.

So the organizer does the same thing as the editor.

I recently got a new scanner (Epson V700) and it comes with PE10. I'll have to try installing PE10 and see if they fixed this.

BTW, maybe you could try this yourself. If you're running some version of Photoshop, do a batch function using grayscale tif's and make them into jpg's.

See if the jpg's are grayscale or RGB.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: