PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Quick and Easy Starfield
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Shadow™

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Quick and Easy Starfield Reply with quote

Do this tutorial step by step and read it carefully. There are no pictures, because I don't think they are needed. If you follow the steps, you'll be fine.

In this tutorial, I will teach you how to do a simple starfield. For anyone who is interested in space art, this should get you started.

Start with a new document, however big you want it. Fill it with black.

Step 1. Create a new layer and fill it with black.

Step 2. Filter/noise/add noise with these the settings of 15, Gaussian and monochromatic. This should give a simple background with white dots everywhere, but as you can see it doesn't look spacey. We'll fix that.

Step 3. CTRL+L for levels and then give it these settings: 0, 0.40 and 160. Now there should be a bit more variation between your stars.

Step 4. Duplicate your star layer and then use filter/blur/Gaussian blur with these the setting of 5 and the blending mode of linear dodge. That should make your stars a bit brighter.

Step 5. Now our stars need some more variation. Make a new layer and then use filter/render/clouds with a blending mode of multiply.

Step 6. (Optional). Your starfield is complete. However, you may choose to make them a bit brighter or take more stars away. To make them brighter, go to your stars layer, duplicate it and set the top one to linear dodge. To make less stars, change the blending mode on your clouds layer to color dodge. If they aren't brighter, then repeat what we did above.

Well, that's it, hope this helped some people.

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna have to try that one, sounsd really good, and comes from a space scene expert, and the good thing is, the SOTW is now, and its on the theme of space, so its gonna be really helpful to everyone who enters, thanks alot Shadow

Free File Uploader for Everyone to use
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i got, didnt bother adding any other things but text, so that people can see a rough result

Free File Uploader for Everyone to use
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Price

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tut Shadow :) Good job.

mantis8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tut

grafioso

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: GalaxyField Reply with quote

Great tut! I combined this tut with what I learnt about colour blending from your sig tut. Here's the result:

I basically I changed the blend mode of the cloud render to hard light, erased some of the stars on the "gaussian blur layer" in the black areas (this makes those stars less brighter) and added three color balance layers (red, yellow and blue). Result was a sort of galaxy effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: