PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
ram vs CPU
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

preludeman92

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: ram vs CPU Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
sorry for the long first post, but I'm confused.
I'm the first to admit that I'm not the most familiar with photoshop or its requirements, but I learn fast. I need to learn fast for my next project...

My friend runs a small bi-monthly magazine and is need of new computers for the office and has enlisted my help. Their old computers are circa 1994 macs and run Quarkxpress 3, so yeah...

Pretty sure we're going with Windows computers unless someone can convince me a new set of iMacs would work better.

Here is the plan right now...
Vista or 7 64 bit
2 7200rpm HDDs (1 for OS, 1 for scratch disk)
2 DVD burners (they want 2)
1 GB ram video card (something not crazy fast)
Gigabit network to file server

Here is where I'm confused about what to spend money on...
I've got 3 options
1) Core i5 and 4 gigs ram
2) Core2Quad Q9550 and 8 gigs ram
3) PhenomII 955 x4 black edition and 6+ gigs ram

My friend has a target goal of 1000-1200 per computer setup, but will spend more if he can get computers that'll last another 5-6 years without needing much attention. These computers won't ever see the internet after final assembly.

I'll take suggestions to change this parts list. I'm not sure if CPU speed/cores/threads are more important basic photoshop functions than amount of ram. They don't do a lot of actual photo editing, but more of a layout kind of thing.
Am I going overkill for this?

Thanks for the help in advance!

1 more question...
Does photoshop use hyperthreading? I suppose that would make an i7 worth it over the i5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: